cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Married! Advice how to combine our cards!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting Married! Advice how to combine our cards!

As the title states I am getting married In July. Both my soon to be husband travel togetheer and I am huge Chase UR collector! (In fact I am using 34k points to get us both round trip tickets to Grand Cayman and back for the Honeymoon). We both NEVER carrt balances so we own nothing on our cards. I was thinking of moving my CSP limit to the Freedom, close it. Have him apply for the CSR and turn his CSP into a Freedom Unlimited??? I would be an authorized user on his CSR which would make it $525 and  we would run our main spend out of the my Freedom, our CSR and both the Unlimiteds. We both dont need a CSP. I am thinking the way I collect URs the 3x would be so much better???

My Cards

Chase Freedom $4k

CHase Sapphire $6k ($95 fee)

Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5K

Amex Platinum NPSL ($450 fee)

Discover $7.8K

Quiksilver 1 $10K

His Cards

Chase Sapphire $18k ($95 fee)

BOA Rewards $12k

Discover $16k

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting Married! Advice how to combine our cards!

These days true joint accounts are rare. Mostly either you or he holds the account and the other is an AU but not an actual account owner. So I'm not sure you could have your Freedom and his CFU / CSR combined for one account of URs. May have to have all three be yours or his. Other than that, the plan souds good.

Best wishes for your upcoming wedding!

Message 2 of 24
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

If I were you, I would joint apply for the CSR as a new card to get the sign up bonus.  Then PC his CSP to freedom and add you as an AU.  Combine all of your chase cards to the freedom unlimited and add him as an AU.  Then both have access to all 3 chase cards to get URs.

You'll have to decide if keeping the Amex plat is worth it with the AF and somewhat overlapping perks to the CSR.  Discover and CapOne probably sock drawer and put a small recurring charge like netflix or something just to keep them reporting.

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice, OP?

Don't. 

And i'm not saying that as a man of little faith in the goodness of people. I'm saying that as a man of financial prudence.

Get a joint bank account for now (Or when you actually marry), Open it with the proceeds of your wedding gifts if you want!

Credit should remain seperate but if you must, add them as AU's.

Message 4 of 24
joltdude
Senior Contributor

You can shuttle URs between each others separate accounts ... if you want to do anything.. go get 1 card from a CU that still offers joint accounts.. but keep everything else separate...

-J

Message 5 of 24
msm859
Established Member

If you want some free legal advice, short answer is don't do it.  Long answer is if you want to get a joint credit card together that is probably okay.  Longer answer if this is either of yours second marriage and/or either or both have substantial assets you should really be talking about a pre nuptial.

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice is don't do it. There are plenty of good reasons to not do it that are or will be discussed here, but I want to come at it from this angle. Say something horrible happens and one or both of you lose your job or become financially strained and can't make your commitments. By focusing on one of your commitments and allowing the others to take the hit, at least one of you would still have good credit to obtain good rates. When y'all are back on your feet you could use the good persons credit to build back up the persons credit who took a hit. If y'all are together on credit then you both fall and it becomes harder for both of you to bounce back. It's morbid to think about, but I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who could tell you it happens.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh no let me clear I never meant joint as we apply together. I meant what to do with our cards each. There is no point in having joint cards. Authorized user yes joint accounts no.
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh no let me clear I never meant joint as we apply together. I meant what to do with our cards each. There is no point in having joint cards. Authorized user yes joint accounts no.

@Anonymous wrote:

My Cards

Chase Freedom $4k (Keep, Take 2K from CSP)

CHase Sapphire $6k ($95 fee) (Close this and spread your limit as directed to your other two Chase cards, get CSP AU card with your soon to be Spouse)

Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5K (Keep, take 4K from CSP)

Amex Platinum NPSL ($450 fee) (Up to you, If the benefits work for you...)

Discover $7.8K (Keep)

Quiksilver 1 $10K (Keep if 0 AF)

His Cards

Chase Sapphire $18k ($95 fee) (Keep, Get added as AU)

BOA Rewards $12k (Keep)

Discover $16k (Keep)

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't join accounts. Add as AU on accounts both of you use to benefit each other (doesn't matter who the primary is), but have some separate cards. If you two have a falling out, it is easier to deal with. But more importantly, if something happens, a job lost, medical problem, etc would hurt both your scores. If one of you is separate as far as credit is concerned, they can be the one to apply for needed credit or mortgages, or loans as they would still have great credit if needed. I agree with Nixon as far as how to handle the cards. Remember that you can transfer UR to a relative fairly easily so you could have your own Freedom  trio cards, and just have the AF card be the AU that you share.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.