cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Married! Advice how to combine our cards!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting Married! Advice how to combine our cards!

I have been married for 20 years, we have one account for our funds and make financial decisions together, our standing let me know if your going to spend over $200 rule has held us in good stead even though $200 is a really low number these days it is good to give eachother a heads up and we keep eachother in check when money is tight or we are working towards a financial goal.

On the credit front we are both on any car loans we have and mortgages but CC's are seperate although we make eachother AU.  Its my job to monitor our credit and pay the bills.  Once a month or so we sitdown and go over everything to make sure we are on the same page and it works great. I have friends that do everything totally seperate, from my perspective we are in this thing together in everyway.  

Just my 2 cents, congrats and best wishes!

Message 11 of 24
redpat
Senior Contributor

Yep, typical thinking already,  what is his is yours, lol!

Just add as AUs, don't combine accounts as others said.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 12 of 24
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been married for 20 years, we have one account for our funds and make financial decisions together, our standing let me know if your going to spend over $200 rule has held us in good stead even though $200 is a really low number these days it is good to give eachother a heads up and we keep eachother in check when money is tight or we are working towards a financial goal.

On the credit front we are both on any car loans we have and mortgages but CC's are seperate although we make eachother AU.  Its my job to monitor our credit and pay the bills.  Once a month or so we sitdown and go over everything to make sure we are on the same page and it works great. I have friends that do everything totally seperate, from my perspective we are in this thing together in everyway.  

I'd kill myself....... Plus, that means I would have to talk to her more.......JK......Wait a second, no I'm not......

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 13 of 24
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As the title states I am getting married In July. Both my soon to be husband travel togetheer and I am huge Chase UR collector! (In fact I am using 34k points to get us both round trip tickets to Grand Cayman and back for the Honeymoon). We both NEVER carrt balances so we own nothing on our cards. I was thinking of moving my CSP limit to the Freedom, close it. Have him apply for the CSR and turn his CSP into a Freedom Unlimited??? I would be an authorized user on his CSR which would make it $525 and  we would run our main spend out of the my Freedom, our CSR and both the Unlimiteds. We both dont need a CSP. I am thinking the way I collect URs the 3x would be so much better???

My Cards

Chase Freedom $4k

CHase Sapphire $6k ($95 fee)

Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5K

Amex Platinum NPSL ($450 fee)

Discover $7.8K

Quiksilver 1 $10K

His Cards

Chase Sapphire $18k ($95 fee)

BOA Rewards $12k

Discover $16k

Yes, it is a good plan. If the CSR was 100K bonus I would say that you both apply, but now that it is only 50K is up to you if both apply for it or just him and you be AU.

Message 14 of 24
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I think the plan is good too. Additionally, the OP might possibly want to add her future hubby to her newly combined Freedom. The bottom line in the end is that each of them would have access to the Sapphire Reserve, the Freedom, and a Freedom Unlimited.

With the QuicksliverOne, call each month to see if you can dump the annual fee by product changing it into a Quicksilver. That offer doesn't come up often, so you have to be persistent. In the month the fee posts, call to see if it can be waived. This is a nice card to have around because of the lack of a FTF.

With two high annual fee cards in the mix, maybe the OP wants to look into a product change on the AMEX. Or not. Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Chynnac, what are the account opening dates of all of the Chase cards?  Since Chase lets you PC pretty much at will and allows you to move credit lines (except for $500 if the donor cards have had activity in the past 90 days), you may as well optimize the age of your accounts when doing this.  Do you know (ballpark) what the APRs are on each card?  You stated you never carry balances, but life happens and if the cards are close in age it's much better to close the 24% one than the 12% one.  Also, how heavily do you use the 5% categories on Freedom?

My wife and I are AUs on many of each other's accounts.  The Freedom and CSP are mine while the Freedom Unlimited is hers, but we each use all 3.  I am debating PCing my CSP to CSR at some point even without the sign-up bonus unless it shows up in my Offers page before then, in which case I would rather take the sign-up bonus.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Once a couple has been together for a few years in marriage, I can see why you might combine and AU on all cards. For the OP, just know AU's are still affected as though the account is their own. I still recommend avoiding having 100% crossover for unforseen circumstances as one person having a great credit score can make them alot more managable.

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see no reason to do a joint account.  My ex-wife charged up 30k on our joint accounts after we seperated.  You may think that your spouse would never do that but  why take the risk?  

Message 18 of 24
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

The OP has already clarified that she isn't looking into joint accounts and that the only goal is to maximize the points on their Chase cards. Maybe the concern is popping up because she used the word "our" in the lead when she was actually just proposing an AU situation on a single account.

Message 19 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think CSR is great idea and then move limits to the Freedoms and close the rest.

I don't see the point of Freedom Unlimited because I think you could probably value UR points higher on CSR

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.