Regular Contributor
Asailorshort

Helping dd's credit by adding as AU?

Not sure if this should go in 'relationships' or 'general.' Mods feel free to move.

My daughter is now 18 & in order to help her establish credit, I'd like to add her as an AU on one of my cc's. However, I don't want her to have actual access to the card, as she'd likely be horrible with it & spend, spend, spend. Can I request to have her added as an AU but still have the card sent to me in Hawaii (she currently lives in Missouri)?
Starting FICO 667 (5/2012) EQ
672 (7/2012) EQ. 681 (8/1/12) EQ
Current FICO 682 (10/13/12) EQ; 718 (10/13/12) TU
Goal: 760+ but 700-720 by jan 2013
No new apps tll jul 2013
Valued Contributor
Burned2manybridgesB4

Re: Helping dd's credit by adding as AU?

Asailorshort wrote:
Not sure if this should go in 'relationships' or 'general.' Mods feel free to move.

My daughter is now 18 & in order to help her establish credit, I'd like to add her as an AU on one of my cc's. However, I don't want her to have actual access to the card, as she'd likely be horrible with it & spend, spend, spend. Can I request to have her added as an AU but still have the card sent to me in Hawaii (she currently lives in Missouri)?

Typically, the card is sent to the billing address on file.
RIP: AxHH (11-25-14)

pizzadude

Asailorshort wrote:

As mentioned they'll likely send the AU card to you.    Another idea is to make her an additional cardmember on an AMEX Charge Card ( if you already have an account ).   This would allow you to set a cap on her account, whilst helping her learn the concept of paying in full every month.    Also it would establish a member since date for her with AMEX so that any future accounts she opens are backdated to that year on her credit reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Regular Contributor
Asailorshort

Ah! Another reason people love Amex. Unfortunately, I don't have an Amex card. Actually all my cards are pretty new, but it'd still give her a couple years of history.
Starting FICO 667 (5/2012) EQ
672 (7/2012) EQ. 681 (8/1/12) EQ
Current FICO 682 (10/13/12) EQ; 718 (10/13/12) TU
Goal: 760+ but 700-720 by jan 2013
No new apps tll jul 2013
Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

We have had our daughter on several of our credit cards since she turned 15. She is now 20 and has a nice solid credit score. My husband signed with her for her to get a student card from PenFed when she turned 18, so she is now building credit under her own name as well. Our daughter actually carries some of the cards, and others she doesn't. You can have it sent to you and then even cut it up if you want to, but she'll still have the benefit on her scores.

I'm not certain about what was said before about establishing a date with AmEx. They won't always backdate new cards based on an AU status.

Established Member
Drash

just do it but have the card sent to you, do a litmus test by giving her the card but cap it to very low spending limit, let the card bouce if she tries to go over the limit when she calls you that the card was denied then you will make an unbiased decision tha she is bad with money management,just bcause you love her doesnt mean you have to succumb to her irresponssibility. in my opinion.

drash

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}