Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

His mistakes on my reporty

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

His mistakes on my reporty

My divorce was final this month, and I just got a copy of my credit report.  There are 2 credit cards on there that I have no knowledge of.  I do not know if my ex used my SSN to get them, or how they got onto my report.  We did not share a last name.  He was over 30 days late on both of them, so now they show up as negative items on my report.  I know there is an Innocent Spouse thing - can I use this to get these negative items off my report?

Also, his car and some other items were spelled out as his responsibility in the divorce decree.  His car shows up on my report even though it was bought in our old  company name.  Can I use the divorce decree to get that removed?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: His mistakes on my reporty

@Anonymous wrote:

My divorce was final this month, and I just got a copy of my credit report.  There are 2 credit cards on there that I have no knowledge of.  I do not know if my ex used my SSN to get them, or how they got onto my report.  We did not share a last name.  He was over 30 days late on both of them, so now they show up as negative items on my report.  I know there is an Innocent Spouse thing - can I use this to get these negative items off my report?

Also, his car and some other items were spelled out as his responsibility in the divorce decree.  His car shows up on my report even though it was bought in our old  company name.  Can I use the divorce decree to get that removed?

A creditor is under no obligation whatsoever to accept the terms of your divorce decree.  A divorce decree cannot unilaterally remove obligations to creditors for debts made prior to the rendering of said decree.  It looks, unfortunately, that the trade line will remain on your credit report and if your ex-spouse defaults the creditor may look to you for payment.

As for the two unknown accounts appearing on your credit report, you will have to go through the fraudulently opened accounts process to have them removed.  This means you need to have a police report.  You've mentioned "Innocent Spouse".  I have never heard of this term used to pertain to credit.  It is a term the IRS uses when one spouse's tax refund is intercepted.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.