cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did your parents successfully teach you about credit? Or how are you teaching your kids?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How did your parents successfully teach you about credit? Or how are you teaching your kids?

My mother never really taught me anything about credit or finances. The funny thing is I would see her with a ton of credit cards and she used them frequently. What I didn't know is that she always PIF and never carried a balance. In addition she made extra house and car payments each month. She had great credit, and paid very little interest to anyone. Now she is married to my step dad who is a very conservative spender but was taught cash only. When they married he still had his student Visa account and no other credit cards. By this time he had been running the ranch for a decade, but was paying higher interest rates on land loans and opperating loans as he did not know how to work credit. My mother changed this and had all of the loans paid off 5 years early. Now they have added more land and have great terms on the loans they have for the business.

Now that I have been reading on here and researching credit I have talked with my mom about what I have learned. She was well aware of most of it, and even had many suggestions for how to moniter my spending and such. I was amazed what she knew and never told me about, her response was that she figured I would learn it eventually. So while I am following her now, I am also teaching my kids about finances and credit. They have AU cards on my accounts for things like lunch when we are skiing (they ski with a team so I am not around when they eat) and they have to report back to me what they spend (preferably with receipts but still working on that reminder). I have explained in general how credit works and how budgets are setup.

Part of my push to teach my kids comes from their mothers spending habits, she will spend until all accounts are maxed, make minimum payments and then spend that. One of my boys came to me one night very scared and told me he did not want to go skiing anymore. After some tears I asked what was wrong, he had a hard week and was getting in trouble for not doing chores. Well it turns out he was afraid we were "almost out of money" and did not want to do chores so I would not have to pay him. I realized he had no understanding of working and getting paid and his concept was there were "accounts" full of money and when they were empty you were done. That came from his mom telling him they were broke and could not afford groceries. So I sat both my boys down and explained working, budgeting, credit and savings and how they allowed us to continue to enjoy life as we were. They are only 10 so I gave them overviews, but it helps and I continue to include them in what I do with the budget.

So I will say this, kids see what is going on and they pick up on small comments and especially the stress of finances. I always thought I would just shield them from the complicated matters and it would be easier on them. It was actually the opposite, so now they see what we spend on, how the budget is figured and a general sense of at least my household finances. Their stress has gone down massively at me house and they seem to enjoy learning about this stuff. So even if you cannot give them an allowance, maybe explain the overall budget and how you are working to better the household finances. Include them on long term plans, my boys are great at reminding me that we are paying for the boat by not eating out as much. If we go out twice in a week they will skip the next week, although they have both said they prefer to eat at home anyway Smiley Happy so it is normally my not wanting to cook that prompts us going out. Another thing they have been stellar at is turning of lights and electronics, I showed them the utility bill and explained how to save energy and reduce the bill. It changed from me chasing them around the house turing off things to me telling them to turn on a light when they read.

Message 21 of 32
juiceeee

Re: How did your parents successfully teach you about credit? Or how are you teaching your kids?

I watched my parents struggle and made it a personal goal to never be told no or taken advantage of - I didn't want to have to pay deposits, I didn't want high interest rates, and I definitely didn't want to be turned away from something that I wanted. I built my credit on my own and work hard to teach without demeaning those around me (when asked). 

Starting Scores: EQ - 577 | EX - UNKNOWN | TU - UNKNOWN
Current Scores: EQ - 715 | EX - 744 | TU - 733
Chase Freedom $3700, CapOne Quicksilver $6000, CapOne Secured Card $300, Victoria Secret $5180, Home Depot $700, Walmart $1600, Paypal $1000 | AU CapOne Platinum $3000, Best Buy $3000, Chase Slate $2500 - TOTAL $26960
Message 22 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

in 2008 my parents had their business so they made me open a savings acct they put 250k told me not to touch it and a secured credit card of 3k from washington mutual and yeah they told me to only use about 500 a month for school and gas! thats how i learn and value what i have! because i saw their hard work.. 

Message 23 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, you can teach a kid many things, but it is up to them if they want to follow the advice. In this game of life, most of us have to make our own mistakes before we can learn. I often look back and wonder why I was never good with credit when I was younger, my first thought was, it must be my parents fault, because they never were the greatest with finances, then I thought back and I do remember them telling me I had to pay my bills on time, etc. etc.

So where did I go wrong when I was younger. It occured to me after a lot of thought and reflection, when I was younger I was irresponsible. It wasn't what I learned or didn't learn, it was simply not being a responsible person. I had no thought for the future, just the present moment. Another thing I chalk up a lot of my problems to when I was younger is that I was always "trying to keep up with the Jones's" (old saying) many of my friends in my early 20s were better off financially than me and could afford to do things that I could not afford to do, but I was always there doing them anyway, putting myself deeper in the hole. Were my 20s fun, you bet, but as I get older I question whether it was worth it.

I think with the high cost of everything any more, it puts a lot of people in financial trouble, so I would say try to teach a kid to appreciate what they have, appreciate the simple things. Teach them that happiness is not bought. Show them some of these forums of how people struggle with day to day living when carrying poor credit. Show them a loan calculator and teach them about interest rates, show them the rates the responsible people get and show them the rates for people that have made mistakes. Teach them the importance of saving, teach them to think about tomorrow and not about today. At 12 and 14, even if you can't provide an allowance, maybe a neighbor or a friend could give them some work, mowing grass, raking leaves, etc. Maybe they could collect aluminum cans and save them up for a payday. Teach them to find opportunities to make money, but more importantly teach them not to spend it on anything unneccessary.

One other great piece of advice you could give them, "if you pay your loan payments on time, you can have just about anything you want in this world"

Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately my parents didn't teach me about finances. They had excellent credit and always paid the bills on time but I didn't learn the importance of this. They did bail me out a couple of times when I got behind and this was the word thing for me. It has taken me years to finally get on top of my credit. They knew the right things to do but instead of teaching me they just fixed things for me.

Now that my kids are getting older I'm trying to get them to see my mistakes and learn from them.
Message 25 of 32
keeno1970
Valued Member

My parents never taught me anything about credit or budgeting. I remember my dad always paying for dinner with a Master card or an American express card. And my mother always had a Discover card and used the crap out of it. I had to learn the hard way. But sometimes thats the best way. When I was young I needed a car I got turned down for having bad credit constantly. And there was the time that I was 21 living on my own renting a room and was so broke. I had to take three county transit busses to get to work everyday. And my shoes had holes in them and were falling apart. So I called my father to ask him if he could send me some money to buy a new pair of shoes. And he told me to go to Goodwill. That I could get a cheap pair of shoes there. Cold. So without any help from anybody I got my sh*t together. I was the only one who could change my course. Life is full of unpleasant suprises. Divorce. Bankrupcy. Laid off etc. And I've been through all of them accept divorce which is the most costly of them all. Knock on wood. But I tought myself about credit. And I have two daughters that are 14 and 16. A am drilling that fact into their heads how important it is to have good credit and budget. All I can do is teach them what I know. After that they are on their own with the credit game.

Message 26 of 32
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

My parents are a dichotomy when it comes to finance. They divorced when I was about 11. Not too long after that my father was transferred to the Middle East for his job. This meant that I had to live with my mother. My mother cannot spend within her means. She THINKS she does, but she buys many unnecessary things. She was a very likeable, but very absent mother. Eventually,  my dad moved back to the US, and I went to live with him. He is wonderful with finances, and he got me a checking account. But that was the end of that. I never bounced checks or anything, but I got involved in credit, and my mother's upbringing was very, very strong in my mindset. I made many mistakes. Eventually, in my early 20's I had to declare bankruptcy, because I was making next to nothing and had many debts. My actual amount owed was really not ridiculous, since the limits were so low......maybe $3000. My father, rather than bail me out, paid the bankruptcy charge. THIS IS THE THING THAT I THANK HIM FOR THE MOST. If he had paid any/of my debts, I would never have grown, and I would have ended up in ten times the trouble. It was an amazingly huge deal that I did not realize until later. 10 years is a long time. And it was so smart on his part. My BK will fall off in October, and I guarantee you that I am better for it. I have had to deal with 10 years of learning how to live within my means. I only got back into credit in September of 2013, and I am so strict with it all. He could have easily paid it, but he did not, and in retrospect, I honestly love and respect him for what he did and saw in my future at that point in time. And, now, I have actually tried to start teaching my mother about credit. I am cautiously optimistic, but it will take work. I know she wants it, but I want it to be very, very, very slow. I worry that she will revert to old mindsets. Best of luck with your children. It is okay to teach the hard financial lessons when required. They will thank you for it, but it may take many years. Smiley Wink

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have never really thought about how I was taught, but it made me laugh when I did.

I was raised by a single Mom and was used to going on vacations abroad multiple times a year as a kid.

So, my Mom always used to tell me "going into debt is worth it if its for something like travel".

Which I do not agree with now, I am thankful for the travel experiences, but believe there are smarter ways to do things.

I don't remember her having a credit card, but I do remember her taking out multiple bank loans and having troubles paying them off.

I am actually the one now educating her on credit, and she is 55 years old and just starting to pay off all of her debts!

Message 28 of 32
_John_Doe
Contributor

I do not recall a single conversation with my parents about finances. I know they both handled their money well since we never had any issues with money and that has carried over into their retirement where they live frugally but still enjoy themselves. For some reason even today if I ask a financial question I get very short, curt answers. Its like i'm a reporter asking Bill Belichick a question.

My son (8) gets a weekly allowance that is seperate from any chores. The catch is that that allowance is his to spend anyway he pleases but that he alone is reponsible for purchases. If he wants a new toy he must save for it. If he wants to see a movie he pays his own way. My goal with this allowance is not to penalize him but rather hopefully to show him how quickly money will dissapper without a plan.

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ 709 EXP 702 TU 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

More than anything I learned from my mothers irresponsible actions. I didn't want to live paycheck to paycheck. I didn't want to lose my house. And here I am now giving my mother a place to live. Glad I somehow just managed to grow up responsible. 

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.