cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you handle the Ex.'s collection calls....

tag
fishone4
New Contributor

How do you handle the Ex.'s collection calls....

My BF's EX wife's name is very similar to his. Her first name just as an e on the end, and she didn't got back to her maiden name. They divorced in 09. He paid of the CC's that he knew of. Needless to say he was just discharged from CH7  3 weeks ago. Had no other choice. She got the house never refi had it foreclosed. She got a car, never refi, got it repo'd. He had garnishments, judgments, and bills showing up everyday. She opened up CC's in his name, loans, etc. She opened up joint accounts that he never new of. He's been hit with inquiries from places in the state she lives in. I pulled his credit reports and even found out that her address was on his reports. We got that taken off. The CCA's have placed fraud alerts. Now that he's been discharged we are getting letters and calls from collection companies asking for her. I put Does not live here on the letters and put them back in the mail. We tell the caller she does not live here. But we still get them. Shouldn't we just give them her information and tell them to not contact us again? I posted something in the student loans forum but no one has replied. Can  her professional license be taken if she has defaulted on her student loans??? We just need to try and prepare ourselves because he pays Child support and alimony. I'm to the point of mailing fliers to everyone that calls for her because it's getting old. Not to mention what the neighbors think of us every time a sheriff's car pulls up because they have a summons for her because of unpaid bills. I tell them she does not live here. My BF has tried to talk to her about this but it's get no where. She just claims that no one can touch her for any bills because she lives in Texas. My BF and I are trying to move forward in our lives and it's hard when "she" keeps popping up. As anyone else dealt with this kind of crazy ????

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: How do you handle the Ex.'s collection calls....

In all seriousness, I would suggest you move forward without your BF. His ex-wife sounds as bad as my ex-wife and it will be ugly if you stay around.

It has taken almost 8 years for things to setlle down to "bad" for me. The laws allow an unbelievable amount of damage to be done by an ex-wife.

Message 2 of 30
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You can stop the telephone calls by sending a cease communications notice to the CAs. Send it certified mail return receipt.

With the mail, just do a return to sender on anything addressed to her.

Also it sounds as if she committed fraud by opening credit accounts in his name. Why haven't you pursued this legally ? It might be worth your time to go to Texas and press charges.

And, depending on what the court ordered, she may have violated the divorce decree by failing to refi the house & car. If that is the case go to court and seek legal redress.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 30
FrugalRican
Blogger

@fishone4 wrote:

She opened up CC's in his name, loans, etc.

I'd be going to the authorities with that one.

It's fraud.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 30
fishone4
New Contributor

We are working on the fraud issue. We have sent letters to the CC companies asking for signature's etc. Not sure what they will do being that these accounts where included in his CH 7 and have all been discharged. We do have fraud alerts on his credit reports. I will say the CR's were very nice in helping us delete  all her information that was on his reports.

He did it all over the phone, and just told them his situation. They even told him which accounts was associated with her address etc. If anything else pops up on his reports or if she tries to use his information again we will know about it and he is ready to move forward to the fullest in dealing with her. 

Now if we can just get the collection companies to stop calling us. I will do some research and work on sending out letters to them telling them to cease all contact with us. 

As for the Ex. well I hope Karma catches up with her. Right now my BF is calling the utilitiy companies in her area and making sure she doesn't have them in his name or the kids. Yes she's that bad. 

We are also waiting to hear back from the places that hit him with inquiries. We sent them letters requesting why and for what and if they have signatures to please send them. 

Message 5 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Did he file police reports?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 30
FrugalRican
Blogger

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Did he file police reports?

I was about to ask the same thing when I saw this thread got updated.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 7 of 30
fishone4
New Contributor

We are waiting on the information from the accounts.  We need show her signature, and information on the accounts. We talked to the police and they said to make sure we have proof in hand. We know she did it , now we just have to prove it for the police to take action and start an investigation. 

Message 8 of 30
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Why not change the phone numbers?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 9 of 30
Scope27
Regular Contributor

he can also freeze his reports to ensure no new inq's or accts.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.