Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I could kick my own a**

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I could kick my own a**

I am SUFFERING!!!.  I have been working so very hard for the past two years to rebuild my credit and make up for all the dum crap I did when I was younger. This is sooo cliche to say but If I knew at 21 what I know now at 28 things would be sooo different.  Its just so crazy when I look back on how careless I was with money and my bills and credit. Now when its important and I need it  I cant really get it because stuff from my past keeps coming back to bite me in the ass. 

When I was like 23 or so (back in 2012) the guy I was dating at the time went to jail. I was young dumb and in love so I went to a bail bonds agency and bailed him out. I put $500 down for the bail and he was supposed to pay ther rest when he got out. They required a co-signer for this and of course my duma** did just that. Now here we are in 2017 at 28 years old and 2 whole relationships later (I dont even speak to him anymore) and the bail bonds company sent me to collections for $1900!!!!!!!!!!.  I could just die.. I mean REALLY!!!!!!. **bleep**!!!!.  Excuse my language but I am fu***ng pissed.  I am so mad at myself for doing that. It was such a dum thing to do and now my credit is suffering for it.

On three of my reports it says its shared responsibility and one it says single which isnt right. So now i have to figure out how to take care of that as well.. I absolutely refuse to pay the collection. I refuse. I just cant do it. It was my mistake to co-sign for him but I am not the one who went to jail. Furthermore he was very abusive to me. He was a liar, a cheater and a women beater and Its sad it took me so long to figure out he wasnt for me. But I have done all the good Im going to do for that man and I WONT do a single thing more. I am NOT paying this collection. Someone please tell me what to do. I am at such a loss here. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I could kick my own a**

Well, I'm def not a pro when it comes to this credit thing, newly rebuilding myself. But from what I know about cosigning is that you're just as liable for the bill as the person you're signing for. I don't hink it takes away from the weight of the collection just because it says "shared or single". I may have read something in these forums about debt relief due to abuse but idk how that works.

Glad you got yourself out of that situation. Hate to say it but unless you pay or settle the collection, you're going to be the one suffering. He could probably care less about a collection.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have the original agreement in regards to the bail?

If so, review the paperwork and see if it might fall under the new NCAP rules.  I'm not familiar with bail so I don't know if it would meet the new standards for consumer credit reporting or not.

Message 3 of 7
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, I'm def not a pro when it comes to this credit thing, newly rebuilding myself. But from what I know about cosigning is that you're just as liable for the bill as the person you're signing for. I don't hink it takes away from the weight of the collection just because it says "shared or single". I may have read something in these forums about debt relief due to abuse but idk how that works.

Glad you got yourself out of that situation. Hate to say it but unless you pay or settle the collection, you're going to be the one suffering. He could probably care less about a collection.

+1...co-signers are equally liable, and as much as I hate to say it, they might be able to get a judgement against the OP. My advise would be to try and settle and maybe PFD. Might have to put this in the lesson learned column. We all wish we could erase past mistakes that come back to haunt us. Often, no good deed goes unpunished.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

"When I was like 23 or so (back in 2012) the guy I was dating at the time went to jail. I was young dumb and in love so I went to a bail bonds agency and bailed him out. I put $500 down for the bail and he was supposed to pay ther rest when he got out. They required a co-signer for this and of course my duma** did just that. "

- Well, it's only been 5 years, but worth a shot & a postage stamp: Write the collections company and demand a copy of the document you signed obligating you to this debt.

Several years ago I got a collections letter for several thousand dollars past due on a credit card. I had rented out the house and had just recently moved back in, so my immediate thought was that the renters got a CC offer mailed to me and forged my name to take out the CC, so I called. The rep told me the CC was issued by some bank in San Diego in 1980, was paid thru early 2000s and then no payments since. So I told the rep I'd never heard of the bank or CC, but if they sent me a copt of the note I signed obligating me to the debt I'd pay in full. I never heard from them again.

I did live in San Diego 1977-1983 and when I thought about it I went through a divorce in 1983. It was probably a CC I opened jointly or co-signed for the wife, and she kept the card & paid on it for while. But I guessed correctly they wouldn't have the original note from 30 years ago. Hopefully the bail bondsman isn't so good at keeping files.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats an Excellent suggestion. I will try that. Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You admit you signed for hm.  It may have been a bad decision, but it was your decision and is now your responsibility.  As the other posted said, you might need to file it under "lesson learned".  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.