Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I ruined my husband's credit and he doesn't know it

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ruined my husband's credit and he doesn't know it

I have ruined my husband's perfect credit, by opening cards and defaulting on existing cards. How can I fix this?
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
bhill40
Valued Member

Re: I ruined my husband's credit and he doesn't know it

How many card? Total Balance owed?

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

A total of 4 cards. A total of $11000.
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't fix it, you can only come clean and accept whatever the penalties are. He has to fix it himself.

Since they were fraudulently opened he can fix them by informing the police and having the accounts shut down, but there may be penalties for you there.
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were to pay these debts off...would his credit improve over time?
Message 5 of 27
bhill40
Valued Member

Not really! I agree also, come clean, stop spending, or close the accounts, and yes pay off the debt. If you were late on any of the accounts (30 days or more), it will be on his report up to seven years. Unfortunately the damage has been done, but you can change things in the next few years. Start by paying the debt down and pay on time (TODAY), never miss a payment.....never! Don't spend no more than you can afford!! pay THE BALANE OFF EVERY MONTH! I would consult wtih him about was has happen and always visit this forum, you can learn alot!!! Good Luck!!!

Message 6 of 27
bhill40
Valued Member

Do you have anything in collections?

Message 7 of 27
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

This is none of my business but you did post it in a public forum so here is my opinion. These nice people are trying to help you out but I think you need to look for the real problem here, not the result of the problem, which is the financial situation. You spent $11K on something - what was it? What was the motivation? Is there a gambling or substance abuse thing?  Some sort of behavior that caused the financial issues? You have to get to the root of the problem or it will continue and get worse.

Message 8 of 27
marty56
Super Contributor

Unless you open ther cards in his name or an AU on his card, I don't think you ruined his credit.  Also what happened to the statements?  If the card is in his name, why didn't he check the balances?

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have ruined my husband's perfect credit, by opening cards and defaulting on existing cards. How can I fix this?

Since he is your husband, I suggest you don't fix it in secret but rather open up and be honest with him.  Put yourself in his shoes and if he were the one to do that, wouldn't you want to know?.

He is going to find out one way or another.  There is no hiding it if you have defaulted.  So start by telling him and then figuring a way to pay the money back.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.