Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I said NO and it felt good

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I said NO and it felt good

So my cousin is going on a trip and the total cost just for the tickets is around 2k.

since his credit is not that great and his 2 cards dont have that in limit he came to me and asked me if he could use one of my cards to pay for the tickets. (he always pays what i let him charge on my cards but its never over $500.) i told him i would do it. fastforward today and sleeping upon it i dediced i did not want to do it, because its a lot of money and my uti was going to take a bit of a bump. i currently have it at 8%. so he started calling me to give him the card and hurrying me. i deciced and told him i did not want to do it because its a lot of money and my scores were going to drop a bit. i dont like to say no to my family and he prolly got mad but in the end im happy i dont have to stress about that money! even though will pay.

but sometimes is good to say NO.  

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I said NO and it felt good

Could he make a down payment of say half when you charge and half when he gets back?
Message 2 of 16
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Good for you, sapingo. Although I'm sure it would have been easier and "cleaner" for all concerned if you'd have been able to say no at the beginning, your ultimate NO makes sense.

If your cousin can't afford a $2,000 trip and doesn't have good enough credit to charge the trip expenses on his own cards, then he should be working on those problems, not using family as a crutch. It's great that he's paid you back smaller amounts before, but it certainly seems wise to refuse him now, whether or not saying yes would have hurt your credit.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kudos for you, just in my way of doing things I would have given him a bunch of good reasons, like ask him what the trip was for, tell him you didn't want to jack up your dti on your card(Which you did), and have to pay interest/fees for something that is a luxury vacation for him, and that he should have given you a bigger heads up so he could have paid you most of it in advance and get the flights at a cheaper rate and like the poster above said you could have maybe ask for a lot of the money upfront before you charge your card.

Message 4 of 16
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Yes! I mean, No!!

Way to go, you said no and stuck to your guns, gotta watch out for yourself and your credit utilization and it's only a trip for fun, so it isnot like it's life and death.

I too have said not to family member and it gets easier all the time.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, but still it would have been a total stress

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

god stuff!

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Good for you, sapingo. Although I'm sure it would have been easier and "cleaner" for all concerned if you'd have been able to say no at the beginning, your ultimate NO makes sense.

If your cousin can't afford a $2,000 trip and doesn't have good enough credit to charge the trip expenses on his own cards, then he should be working on those problems, not using family as a crutch. It's great that he's paid you back smaller amounts before, but it certainly seems wise to refuse him now, whether or not saying yes would have hurt your credit.

Gunnar, your comment contained literally every thought I had while reading sapingo's post. Get out of my brain!! Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 16
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

Gunnar, your comment contained literally every thought I had while reading sapingo's post. Get out of my brain!! Smiley LOL

Bwahh-ha-ha-ha! I know ALL!

Or (oops) maybe YOU are in MY brain?

Scary either way!

Message 9 of 16
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

GOOD for YOU!!! You're not financially obligated to do that kind of stuff for family members.  So what they may get upset, they'll get over it.

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.