cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's the weekend and I'm thinking about work - Do I have a problem?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the weekend and I'm thinking about work - Do I have a problem?

Does this happen to anybody else?

is this an actual problem?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: It's the weekend and I'm thinking about work - Do I have a problem?

Work is such a big part of our lives as we spend at least 8 hours a day there and it forms our identity as part of who we are.

if you are thinking about work over the weekend you are either (1) really stressed about work or (2) really enjoy it and can't wait to get back to something ou are working on or (3) you like someone at work and can't wait to get back

Don't worry about it, start worrying when you're like me and you wake up from a dream about work repeating Excel forumlas out of your lips.

Message 2 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mikemsceo wrote:

Typical for Gen X at any rate.

I'd say no, as long as you get your downtime or playtime somewhere.  Work hard play hard so to speak.  Having let work define too much of my life, do make time for other things.

        
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do. But I find myself bored when I do. The other day I was in a club thinking about freaking stocks ....

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol- I only think about work Monday-Friday -- except Sunday- after we've had Sunday Funday and i am, notably, going to regret my actions the next day

Message 5 of 9
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

I do the same thing (think about work all the time), and I wish I could stop.

I recently left my job of 6+ years for a much, MUCH better position. I work remotely from a home office, so I work where I live and live where I work. That adds another layer to the dilemma for me. 

They loved me at my old job. I mean REALLY loved me. It was heartbreaking to leave, but it was the right thing to do and the right time to do it. Even in that job, I thought about it all the time, worked up to 70 hours a week a few times, always did some work on weekends and yes, even had dreams/nightmares about it.

Here I am at the new job, missing being loved by one and all, exhausted at the prospect of having to prove myself all over again, with a hugely heavy workload, and a nice big helping of "I'm not worthy" and "I feel like a fraud" piled on top. I think it's all these feelings of inadequacy and such that make me kind of hypervigilant about my job. 

I sure don't know the answer, but I'm pretty darn sure it's not healthy. I wish I could just STOP DOING IT and cut myself some slack evenings and weekends. I need some fun, man.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 6 of 9
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I barely think about work when I'm at work.   Smiley Surprised

Nah, but seriously, life is a difficult thing to compartmentalize.   Sometimes you think of work, especially when there's a stressful or challenging situation.   Or you might be thinking of ways to get ahead, too.  I think it can be negative or positive.   Consider if it interferes with the quality of your life to think about work outside of work hours.   If not, I think you're ok.  But if it does, then it's time to think of ways to address the issues.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 9
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

It's Saturday again, and I'm thinking about work again. I hate being the primary wage earner, especially given my health issues. I think that's partly why I think/stress about it all the time. I'm terrified of not being good enough, losing my job and having everything I've worked so hard to build fall apart.

I keep hoping that I will get some sort of indication from my new (five weeks now) boss about how I'm doing, but he's pretty much a totally hands-off guy. My boss at my last job was a nanomanager -- like a micromanager, only worse. This new guy is totally the opposite.

Wonder how long it takes for the "new" to wear off a job... To get to the point where you feel comfortable. A friend told me four months.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gamegrrl wrote:

It's Saturday again, and I'm thinking about work again. I hate being the primary wage earner, especially given my health issues. I think that's partly why I think/stress about it all the time. I'm terrified of not being good enough, losing my job and having everything I've worked so hard to build fall apart.

I keep hoping that I will get some sort of indication from my new (five weeks now) boss about how I'm doing, but he's pretty much a totally hands-off guy. My boss at my last job was a nanomanager -- like a micromanager, only worse. This new guy is totally the opposite.

Wonder how long it takes for the "new" to wear off a job... To get to the point where you feel comfortable. A friend told me four months.

@gamegrrl,

I think it is normal to think about work but don't stress about it.  It is Saturday, 12:44am EST and I am catching up on work instead of catching some zzzs.  So you are not alone.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.