Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JOINT vs. AUTHORIZED USER

tag
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

JOINT vs. AUTHORIZED USER

Hi everyone.

Will someone please explain the difference between JOINT and AUTHORIZED USER?

Here is my understanding.  Please advise if this is right or not:

JOINT - Both spouses are liable for the debt on the card, regardless of any divorce decree.

AUTHORIZED USER - The spouse who is an authorized user is NOT responsible for the debt and cannot be forced to pay.  In fact, they can request to be removed as an authorized user if so desired.

Thanks!

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JOINT vs. AUTHORIZED USER

@MissExcellentCredit wrote:

Hi everyone.

Will someone please explain the difference between JOINT and AUTHORIZED USER?

Here is my understanding.  Please advise if this is right or not:

JOINT - Both spouses are liable for the debt on the card, regardless of any divorce decree.

AUTHORIZED USER - The spouse who is an authorized user is NOT responsible for the debt and cannot be forced to pay.  In fact, they can request to be removed as an authorized user if so desired.

Thanks!

I believe everything you wrote is correct AFAIK (As Far As I Know).

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

joint = (co-)ownership

authorized user means simply that, authorized to use the CC

The only asterisk I would add is that authorized users on American Express are (potentially) responsible for the charges made via their AU cards, which have different numbers. If the cardholder defaults, AmEx will try to get partial payment from the AU.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

joint = (co-)ownership

The only asterisk I would add is that authorized users on American Express are (potentially) responsible for the charges made via their AU cards, which have different numbers. If the cardholder defaults, AmEx will try to get partial payment from the AU.

Thanks for adding that HTSU. I keep forgetting that little but very important caveat.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 30
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Thanks to all.

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734

Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

joint = (co-)ownership

Not only American Express.  USAA and a number of other major lenders have learned from AmEx.

Not only can they sue you over the debt, they can report the negative on your credit report. 

Always read the contract.

Message 6 of 30
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

I'm an authorized user on one of my hubbies cc's.  It's showing up on my credit report.  No harm though, it's helping because of his good payment history.  But I thought that only cards on which I might be a joint owner would show up on my report.  Someone please advise.  If I'm an AU on my husband's card, that will consistently show up on my report and affect my FICO score?

Message 7 of 30
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I'm an authorized user on one of my hubbies cc's.  It's showing up on my credit report.  No harm though, it's helping because of his good payment history.  But I thought that only cards on which I might be a joint owner would show up on my report.  Someone please advise.  If I'm an AU on my husband's card, that will consistently show up on my report and affect my FICO score?

Yes and that can be a good thing for your credit as long as the account stays in good standing. You inherit the entire history of this account.

But if the account goes bad that also will reflect on your credit.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 8 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Yes and that can be a good thing for your credit as long as the account stays in good standing. You inherit the entire history of this account.

But if the account goes bad that also will reflect on your credit.

But the advantage to being an AU is that if you do want the card to stop showing on your reports, you can take yourself off of it. The next time the card updates, the AU account should disappear. Sometimes they still keep updating, and then you would dispute as "not mine", and it should be removed.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 30
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Good to know.  Thanks to all.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.