Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriage for financial reasons

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marriage for financial reasons

Don't do it.  Paying child support will be a lot less than paying child support, alimony, and 1/2 of her debt.  There's a reason she wants you to jump in head first.

Message 21 of 25
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

If you marry for financial reasons, you may also divorce for financial reasons.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

If you marry for financial reasons, you may also divorce for financial reasons.

It's hard enough to make a marriage work when it's purely for love.

Message 23 of 25
BuckiRob
Established Member

You have NOTHING in common with her.  YOu have issues over hobbies, lifegoals even down to vacations.... 

The odds of this relationship surving are remotely small.....

Child support will be based on how much you make, how much she makes.  Get out now while you can minimize the damage to your emotional and financial well being.  

Run do not walk. RUN!

Message 24 of 25
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the incentive for you to get married? I see all red flags and no good signs in this scenario. Do you have to be married? Is there a religious belief that makes you want to marry?

I have been with my DBF for 8.5 years now, unmarried. We have one 5 year old child together. We have very different ideas about money, but we talk about them openly. We share our finances only for household bills and expenses for our son. We both know how much either of us is expected to put in the pot for bills. Beyond that, they are separate. I save mine and he spends his. Techinically he saves, also, but in cash and his bank is our safe. If for some reason he needs to borrow money, I actually track it on my phone and he makes payments until he has paid me back. We have never had difficulty or miscommunications doing this because we both know what is expected of each other. We have an honest open line of communcation about money. I know that if I needed cash in a hurry, I could open the safe and take what I needed with no questions asked. But that is HIS money and I would never use his money for my self unless it was a true urgent need.

It sounds like your girlfriend is expecting your money to be her money. That is a whole lot of resentment in the making. And let's be honest. If you came here to ask the question, you probably already know the answer.

Agreed.

Side note: Marriage advice on a MyFico forum??? As others have suggested, set up a meeting to talk with a divorce attorney.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.