Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married Wife w/ Bad credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Married Wife w/ Bad credit

Be sure to check your state's marriage laws - I believe you are fine in Florida, but there are about 9 states (including, for example, Louisiana) that have community property laws. In short, these laws generally imply that everything everyone brings to the marriage is JOINTLY owned. So, let's say you are in arrears on some debt from before the marriage, and you marry your wife and she has a home that she inherited from her grandfather. Once you are married - under community property laws - the lender with whom you have your pre-marital debts could put a lien on your new wife's house. Doesn't matter what is in your name or her name or what have you. With this said, I believe it refers to PROPERTY in specific, so I'm not certain that they could come after your bank accounts. Anyway, as noted by more than once person here, legal advice is the way to go - and a quick Google search to see if Florida is amongst the 9 or so community property states in the US. Best of luck!! - Andrew
Message 21 of 23
Rose8989
New Visitor

To keep this simple, No joint accounts what so ever until everything caught up. Creditors can and will garnish any joint assets, even if your the only one putting money in it. Just because they haven't yet, doesn't mean the next creditors that buy the debt will not.  Do you really want the liability of joint credit when her past due bills have not been paid? If god forbid she dies, you pay. Divorce? You pay.  What the divorce judge orders is not binding on the creditors and you will be paying the debt to save your score if she can't or won't . If any student loans, taxes or child support is past due, NO joint returns. They will intercept the refund without advanced warning.  

Message 22 of 23
bxfinestcocoa
Valued Member

Even if he did not get a joint accoint with his wife they can still get the money from him other ways taxes, his accounts etc...because even if they garnish her accounts the next step will be she is ging to have to use his accounts to pay household bills. Once you have decided to marry a person youtake on everything about your significant other. To get a handle on your bills and to tackle her debt I would suggest you get a joint account and the both of you get a separate account each. The joint account will handle all household bills and all of your debt. Come up with a common goal and you guys should be fine. It might sound unfair, but as stated before this is something you both should have discussed before you got married.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.