Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Married, post BK question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Married, post BK question

A little back story first:

Neither my husband nor I had the best of credit when we married (I was still recovering from a previous marriage to a spendthrift and he was recovering from a living on credit while earning his teaching credential).

After the 2008 crash we both ended up out of work, ate through our savings, moved in with my parents briefly, found work at a considerably lower payscale than previously, and ended up filing bankruptcy in January 2012 (discharged in May) when it became obvious that we were not going to do any better for a very long time.

Since then, I've been very diligent about rebuilding my credit. Going from a post-BK FAKO of approximately 480 to myFICO scores of 670-701.

I started paying attention to my husband's scores just since the beginning of this year; They were around 630-680. Now they're all right around 630.

My question is this:

Why is my credit score steadily improving while my husbands is stagnating or falling?

Every monetary debt and asset we have is joint (with the exception of my employer sponsored IRA). I'm in charge of paying the bills and know they're paid on time. I've kept our credit use low, paying balances off every month; but generally with a 10% usage around the middle of the month, when our credit cards and credit union send their reports to the bureaus.

Someday we will be in a place to buy a home and I'd like to get the best interest rate we can when that day comes.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Married, post BK question

Are there any accounts on his reports that aren't showing up on your reports?  Maybe they're older, from before you were married?

You'd need to compare your reports to see what differences are there.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

We both have a couple of items remaining from pre-BK.

I'd understand if his was just lower, but since the BK everything is identical. I'd think we'd at least both be headed in the same direction, ya know?

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@kkesilis wrote:

We both have a couple of items remaining from pre-BK.

I'd understand if his was just lower, but since the BK everything is identical. I'd think we'd at least both be headed in the same direction, ya know?

It depends on what the derogatory items are on his report, they could be keeping his score relatively flat depending on how severe they are.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

That could be... my debts were newer; and revolving rather than installment.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.