Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meet the Marriage Killer

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Meet the Marriage Killer

Hint: it's not money.

Psychologists say that many people will talk about anything, even sex, before they'll talk about their finances. Why is it so difficult for us to talk about money? Perhaps because money symbolizes different things to different people, like power, control, security or love.

Oddly enough, the following Wall Street Journal article mentions only the last one of those words. Money and credit are nowhere to be found, but I thought I'd let you know anyway.

Meet the Marriage Killer; It's More Common Than Adultery and Potentially As Toxic, So Why Is It So Hard to Stop Nagging?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203806504577180811554468728.html

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Meet the Marriage Killer

Ha! Good read.

Message 2 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

My guess is most of the people who could benefit from that article wouldn't be bothered to read it, LOL!

I've given up on asking DGF why we seem to keep having the same conversation over and over again. Consider this a PSA, Guys: "Please tell me what answer I can give that will make you shut up for five minutes and I'll say it" does not, I repeat, not work. Seriously guys, it will only lead to more talking, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
izzesparks
Frequent Contributor

LOL! you guys are hilarious!

just stop giving your girls something to nag about, and they will leave you alone. Also just agree with everything and just say she is right and let it go, lol!!

Also dont kill the messenger Smiley Wink

Starting Score: TU-470 4/11/19, EQ-482 4/11/19, EX-486 4/11/19
Current Score: TU-507 7/18/19, EQ-517 7/18/19, EX-508 7/18/19
Goal Score: TU-700, EQ-700, EX-700

Message 4 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@izzesparks wrote:

LOL! you guys are hilarious!

just stop giving your girls something to nag about, and they will leave you alone. Also just agree with everything and just say she is right and let it go, lol!!

Also dont kill the messenger Smiley Wink

I'm no expert but generally feel tolerance leads to resentment.

Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Plenty of communication works.

Making reasonable (as opposed to inconsiderate) requests works.

So does not procrastinating when your partner makes this reasonable request. Smiley Happy I vividly remember whining at my mother about her nagging, and her reply was that if I'd clean my room when I was supposed to, she wouldn't have to keep nagging. I never could come up with a good answer for that one.

This works both ways, btw --I have a hard time believing that there are relationships where one party is ALWAYS prompt and responsible, and the other is ALWAYS foot-dragging.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Hauling,

At some point we must define "reasonable". Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@drkaje wrote:

Hauling,

At some point we must define "reasonable". Smiley Happy

EXACTLY!!!!!

My own approach, since I'm lazy as sin, is to make roughly the same number and magnitude of requests as are asked of me. If I were to ask someone to climb up on the roof with a used fingernail file and clean out pine needles from between each shingle, I would have to be willing to do the equivalent in return.

And since I'm not Smiley Very Happy, I don't make demands, errr, requests like this.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

My guess is most of the people who could benefit from that article wouldn't be bothered to read it, LOL!

I've given up on asking DGF why we seem to keep having the same conversation over and over again. Consider this a PSA, Guys: "Please tell me what answer I can give that will make you shut up for five minutes and I'll say it" does not, I repeat, not work. Seriously guys, it will only lead to more talking, LOL!

Yayyy!! I can't wait for marriage Smiley Wink.

Message 9 of 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Yayyy!! I can't wait for marriage Smiley Wink.

You may as well give it a shot!! 50/50 chance of things working out. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.