cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neighbor I Barely Know Asked For $5k Loan! What?????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Neighbor I Barely Know Asked For $5k Loan! What?????

UPDATE!!!  (And I nearly missed it!)

Early this morning, my sister called to bring me up to date on some interesting family things. Just chit-chat really, but I missed her call because I was having sleeping in.

But when I noticed I'd missed her call and that she'd left a voicemail, (she rarely does, so I don't check this feature on my iPhone often), I also noticed there was a voice mail from "That Neighbor", too -- dated December 21, 2016 just after 12 noon.

What??? The reason why I never got his call and hadn't received an alert (no "ding", "vibrate"...) is because I had blocked his number. Now if you have an iPhone, you'll know that all that does is prevents my phone from ringing, vibrating, or otherwise getting through to me real-time. However, the person making the call doesn't know they're blocked and thinks I just didn't answer, so their call goes on to voicemail. I'm not sure if it goes directly there, or if they hear it ring a number of times, like normal, first.

Anyway, I stared at it a long time, thinking, "surely not!!!" And when I listened to it, and here's the word-for-word:

"Good afternoon, [my first name], this is [his name, aka, Crazy Horse Slimeball], your nextdoor neighbor...(slimy gutteral coughing ensues). Just checking to see how you were doing. Today is Wednesday. It's about 12:30. So when you get a chance, if you can give me a call back, please...at your convenience. It's (XXX) XXX-XXXX. Thank you."

The freakin' audacity!!!! I saved the voicemail, so I can forward it to all my friends and family who've been asking for any updates. So the message is verbatim. He sounds lacksadaisical (sp), like it's no biggie that I'm still out here confident that I can wear you down and extract money from you.

Of course, I checked the county website official foreclosures schedule again. Nada! Dagnappit! I'm hoping whatever lies he told the Compass Bank to get a short-term stay of execution foreclosure agreement, he's running out of time again. 

I'm livid. If I call T-Mobile, they'll charge me $5 per month to manually block his number, but he'd know his number is blocked. Yet I hate like anything him costing me money JUST to flip him off when he's the culprit, not me.

I've got a more permanent free method that I'm thinking of and that's calling the cops and telling them he's harassing me so they'll go have a talk with him. Makes the palms sweat as the police force have better things to do that run interference with this poor excuse for trash, but I'm just about there. 

FURTHER UPDATE:  I have already called the cops (Non-emergency number). Dispatch took copious notes, asked the right questions. Sent a squad car within 5 minutes. The officer checked his notes, listened the the voicemail, took notes of my own details, asked if I had any "protection in the house", then marched himself down the street to have a word with Crazy Horse. To my dismay, no one was home...OR no one answered. The officer came back to ask if I had any idea of their schedule(s). I gave him as much as I knew. He said to call them back when I had any indication (30-ish daughter who lives at home has her car parked out front again, lights on, etc.) and an officer "WILL go get in his face" about this. 

Message 31 of 118
elim
Senior Contributor

Call them... that guy has to be on Crack. No one can have that little pride ffs. 

Message 32 of 118
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

Just my .02, but I don't think this rises to the level of harassment warranting a call to the police. If he called multiple times, that would be a different story. If he had threatened you in any way, again, different story.

If you happen to run into him and he asks for money again, just be firm and say no. "I'm sorry for your troubles, but we are unable and unwilling to lend you money under any circumstances." You need to be unequivocal so he doesn't read a ray of hope into it.
Starting FICO 8's (7/2016) EQ 715|| TU 743 || EX 762
Current FICO 8's (10/2022) EQ 838|| TU 828|| EX 826
Goal FICO 8's: 780 across the board - Goal met 9/2018;
Next Goal FICO 8's: 800 across the board - Goal met 10/2022
Message 33 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fleuriste wrote:
Just my .02, but I don't think this rises to the level of harassment warranting a call to the police. If he called multiple times, that would be a different story. If he had threatened you in any way, again, different story.

If you happen to run into him and he asks for money again, just be firm and say no. "I'm sorry for your troubles, but we are unable and unwilling to lend you money under any circumstances." You need to be unequivocal so he doesn't read a ray of hope into it.
With respect, I disagree. Therefore, I have already called the cops (Non-emergency number). Dispatch took copious notes, asked the right questions. Sent a squad car within 5 minutes. The officer checked his notes, listened the the voicemail, took notes of my own details, asked if I had any "protection in the house", then marched himself down the street to have a word with Crazy Horse. To my dismay, no one was home...OR no one answered. The officer came back to ask if I had any idea of their schedule(s). I gave him as much as I knew. He said to call them back when I had any indication (30-ish daughter who lives at home has her car parked out front again, lights on, etc.) and an officer "WILL go get in his face" about this. 
I'm not sure why this don't think the anxiety this has escalated to for me should devoid me of police intervention, but "NO" means "NO". Not, "that woman down the street's money looks better in my bank account than it does in her own even though she told me No both times." I will NOT be harassed. And if this cost me any more than calling my local police services, I'm feeling like I'll sue for his house MYSELF and force the foreclosure. My safety and peace of mind is my hot bottom.

Message 34 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought they were moving? What happen? Any update in their court archiveSmiley Wink...

Message 35 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think a call to the non-emergency number was out of bounds. However it was probably not the best course of action. You have already stated this Crazy Train long ago left the station and there is no telling when it could de-rail, a visit from the cops could have very unintended consequences, I believe the best course of action although you may not want to hear it is to play the stupid neighbor, ie, "OH I must have somehow missed your voicemail" if he stops you. Many times restraining orders and the like end up increasing the harassment. Keep us updated! 

Message 36 of 118
Fleuriste
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Fleuriste wrote:

With respect, I disagree. Therefore, I have already called the cops (Non-emergency number). Dispatch took copious notes, asked the right questions. Sent a squad car within 5 minutes. The officer checked his notes, listened the the voicemail, took notes of my own details, asked if I had any "protection in the house", then marched himself down the street to have a word with Crazy Horse. To my dismay, no one was home...OR no one answered. The officer came back to ask if I had any idea of their schedule(s). I gave him as much as I knew. He said to call them back when I had any indication (30-ish daughter who lives at home has her car parked out front again, lights on, etc.) and an officer "WILL go get in his face" about this. 
I'm not sure why this don't think the anxiety this has escalated to for me should devoid me of police intervention, but "NO" means "NO". Not, "that woman down the street's money looks better in my bank account than it does in her own even though she told me No both times." I will NOT be harassed. And if this cost me any more than calling my local police services, I'm feeling like I'll sue for his house MYSELF and force the foreclosure. My safety and peace of mind is my hot bottom.

I'm sorry that your neighbor is causing you so much anxiety.  You are in control of your money and he doesn't get to "borrow" it from you. 

He certainly crossed a boundary when he asked you for the money in October.  It is fair to assume that since he called you a couple of weeks ago and left a message that he was going to try again. You blocked him on your phone, but it appears that doesn't prevent contact and he may not even realize that he is blocked. I know that you probably haven't shared every communication in this thread that you have had with your neighbor, so my input was based on what you wrote. I may have missed that you told him that you didn't want him to contact you again. If you had and he didn't respect that, this would be a different situation and my input would have been different.

At any rate, it should be clear to him as soon as the police make contact with him that you do not wish for him to contact you any longer.  Hopefully, this gives you the peace of mind you deserve.

Starting FICO 8's (7/2016) EQ 715|| TU 743 || EX 762
Current FICO 8's (10/2022) EQ 838|| TU 828|| EX 826
Goal FICO 8's: 780 across the board - Goal met 9/2018;
Next Goal FICO 8's: 800 across the board - Goal met 10/2022
Message 37 of 118
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Your neighbor is a con artist!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 38 of 118
WST
Valued Member

Any more updates??

Started Sept. 15, 2021 - Staying approx. 3 years (then house hunting)
Message 39 of 118
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for prompting me to check the court records. His house is posted for foreclosure for next week, February 7th.

Message 40 of 118
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.