cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never co-sign a loan. Never, ever ever.

tag
lithium78
Established Contributor

Re: Never co-sign a loan. Never, ever ever.

I called the CU and they are giving me the same old BS that they "can't change what they report legally if they didn't make a mistake" and blah, blah, blah.  I escalated through two supervisors and they wouldn't budge.  I guess the next step is to try to contact their CEO and give them my story.  This is such a mess.  I am so angry I could just scream.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@lithium,
I'd call back and say "I only cosigned for a 60 month loan". If she renegotiated terms or something else you should have been notified, IMO.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 12 of 65
lovinlifeinkc
Regular Contributor

If she only missed **one** payment I would surely ask the lender to remove the negative mark from your score.    Surely they will be kind once the situation is explained.  If they tell you no- keep asking.  35 points is massive!  Good luck to you!! 

Starting Score Aug 2011 590/ Gardening until 2013!!
Current Score Walmart 683/ FICO Equifax 722/738/ 708 Transunion FICO 700/ 725 Credit Karma 648/678/
Goal Score 750
Credit Cards- Orchard $300, Capitol One $300/$500, Amazon $600/$1300 Pennys $700, Walmart $250/$700, Discover $2000, Chase $1500 Pending Citi/Declined Cit- Inquires and new credit....... GARDENING UNTIL 2013 or home loan time!!! Help me stay strong!!
Message 13 of 65
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@drkaje wrote:
@Anonymous,
I'd call back and say "I only cosigned for a 60 month loan". If she renegotiated terms or something else you should have been notified, IMO.

OK, I do like this one. Don't know if it will be successful, but it makes sense. It appears that she renegotiated the terms of the contract, and you weren't notified. Wouldn't that invalidate your liability?

Definitely worth following up on, IMO. With an endless, uncrackable smile and earnest good will. Bring mini Baby Ruths and Snickers bars for the tellers. Smiley Happy Make it easy for them to back down, especially if their attorneys start clearing their throats.  Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@drkaje wrote:
@Anonymous,

OK, I do like this one. Don't know if it will be successful, but it makes sense. It appears that she renegotiated the terms of the contract, and you weren't notified. Wouldn't that invalidate your liability?

Definitely worth following up on, IMO. With an endless, uncrackable smile and earnest good will. Bring mini Baby Ruths and Snickers bars for the tellers. Smiley Happy Make it easy for them to back down, especially if their attorneys start clearing their throats.  Smiley Wink

I'd show up with coffee and a smile.

That close to the finish line (of credit repair); I'd ask for a copy of the 72 month loan application.

If all else fails, I'd politely ask who their "contact person was for legal stuff, like documentation" so they feel a lawyer is calling.

Message 15 of 65
IOBA
Senior Contributor

drkaje - +1000

I LOVE your answer!   That is pretty much what I would do!   There is a chance that it was originally a 72 month loan and the OP didn't realize it.  I had never heard of 72 month auto loans until I was helping someone out and read their contract.   They appeared "shocked" that it was a 72 month auto loan...but hey, maybe that person wasn't shocked.  Who knows?

Message 16 of 65
FrugalRican
Blogger

@drkaje wrote:

@drkaje wrote:
@Anonymous,

That close to the finish line (of credit repair); I'd ask for a copy of the 72 month loan application.

If all else fails, I'd politely ask who their "contact person was for legal stuff, like documentation" so they feel a lawyer is calling.

Holy heck, this.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 17 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I hope this all worked out!

Message 18 of 65
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@FrugalRican wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

@drkaje wrote:
@Anonymous,

Holy heck, this.

OMG do this... awesome strategy Smiley Happy  +500....

There is nothing like using fear to get what you want.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 19 of 65
lithium78
Established Contributor

After speaking with my ex again, she says that the credit union gave her the option of extending the auto loan by three months without penalty so she took advantage of that.  It had been a 72 month auto loan, but they extended it to 75 months.  She then missed the very last payment on the schedule by 30 days.  I told her that she could have contacted me if she needed money to make the last payment and she could have paid me back, but she decided to be irresponsible instead.  *sigh*

She's trying to get a goodwill adjustment on her end and I'm trying on my end, so maybe we'll be able to get something worked out.  I sent a letter, which I fully expect to be rejected.  When I get a response, I'll try contacting the CU's CEO.  This credit union seems to be very "by the book", so getting a GW adjustment is going to be extremely hard.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 20 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.