cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never co-sign a loan. Never, ever ever.

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Never co-sign a loan. Never, ever ever.

Reads to me like the loan terms were changed without your approval. I'd call and keep politely asking for documentation.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 65
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Reads to me that he co-signed a 72 mo. finance and she was able to extend it to 75, but without the co-signers approval.  THAT is still your leg to stand on, IMHO.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 22 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

you need to get a copy of the orginal loan and go over the print regarding a loan extension, etc.  Most likely the option to extend is somewhere in the text as these contracts are pretty thought out. This isn't the banks first rodeo.  Good luck.

Message 23 of 65
IOBA
Senior Contributor

lithium78 - with the new information that she extended the loan terms without your permission, what will you do?   Go to the bank that seems to follow the book and ask use it to have them remove the late?

Message 24 of 65
casmith1980
Established Contributor

Just got done reading this thread and I'm highly intrigued to know the outcome!!!!  Any luck so far?

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 25 of 65
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@drkaje wrote:
@Anonymous,
I'd call back and say "I only cosigned for a 60 month loan". If she renegotiated terms or something else you should have been notified, IMO.

OK, I do like this one. Don't know if it will be successful, but it makes sense. It appears that she renegotiated the terms of the contract, and you weren't notified. Wouldn't that invalidate your liability?

Definitely worth following up on, IMO. With an endless, uncrackable smile and earnest good will. Bring mini Baby Ruths and Snickers bars for the tellers. Smiley Happy Make it easy for them to back down, especially if their attorneys start clearing their throats.  Smiley Wink

I'd show up with coffee and a smile.

That close to the finish line (of credit repair); I'd ask for a copy of the 72 month loan application.

If all else fails, I'd politely ask who their "contact person was for legal stuff, like documentation" so they feel a lawyer is calling.

Holy heck, this.

OMG do this... awesome strategy Smiley Happy  +500....

There is nothing like using fear to get what you want.

+1

"I have never, EVER applied or signed any application as a cosignor for a 75 month loan, or for any kind of 75 month extension for a loan. This long of a term completely violates my credit principals!  I would never have accepted such terms. Please, I need a copy of this "supposed" document for my lawyer, and I sure hope that my signature was not missing or forged on that document.  If you are having trouble locating this document, I will take a goodwill deletion in its place..."

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 26 of 65
lithium78
Established Contributor

It appears that the credit union ignored my first GW letter, so I have to try again this week.  This credit union is very hard to deal with because they are very large and they like to pretend that they are one of those "too big to fail" commercial banks.  They are being really unreasonable.

I guess the next step is to contact the CEO and see if they can do anything about the mess.  I'm still really upset about getting this late on my report after all my hard work.

My score rebounded by 25 points because some old baddies fell off my report, but unfortunately I'm still down by 10 points right now and the score simulator on this site says I can't get my score above 700 within the next year due to my ex's late car payment.  This is so infuriating!

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 65
FrugalRican
Blogger

@drkaje wrote:
@Anonymous,
I'd call back and say "I only cosigned for a 72 month loan". If she renegotiated terms or something else you should have been notified, IMO.

Have you done this yet?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 28 of 65
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

I was just about to post  a question on this topic then I saw this post....ahh the dread.  So would anyone co-sign for a spouse?  I have always said absolutely not when approached by my DH on the topic.  However, now I am just confused on whether I am being a bad wife by not doing so.  The thought is now crossing my mind again. 

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 29 of 65
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@tonyaether wrote:

I was just about to post  a question on this topic then I saw this post....ahh the dread.  So would anyone co-sign for a spouse?  I have always said absolutely not when approached by my DH on the topic.  However, now I am just confused on whether I am being a bad wife by not doing so.  The thought is now crossing my mind again. 

Just my 2 cents here, but IMO signing a loan with your spouse and co~signing for someone else ( friend, sister, cousin...etc... ) is different thing.

Married people handle their finances differently, some people do everything jointly, and others keep it all seperate, or only co~mingle one or two accounts.    

Whether you live in a community property state might make a difference on this as well.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 30 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.