cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never co-sign a loan. Never, ever ever.

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Never co-sign a loan. Never, ever ever.

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@tonyaether wrote:

Thanks for input everyone. I do want to clarify, we are not in a community property state.  It's equitable distribution here.  I guess my apprehension comes in the nature of everything. I was a single mother for a long time and had to scrape my way back through credit and financial issues.  I am sure part of it is me not wanting to allow someone to jeopardize that.  Up until this point I could handle things on my own if it came to that and there is still some security for me in that. That is probably residuals from always being in control.... Who knows and I won't get Dr. Phil on it (even though I already did).... However the largest part of my issue is that I need to maybe see more from him first in helping his own situation.  I haven't seen the effort that I need to see to feel ok enough to "let my guard down".  It's definitely something I will need to really think about. I am a prepare for the worst type of person (pessimist if you will). This really has nothing to do though with insensitivity, lack of love/caring, or not having his back.  It's more like hauling said, I don't want to be an enabler. Either way, bottom line is that I need to make a choice I can live with.

There's a difference between a hand up and a handout. Smiley Happy

Good luck to you. That's a tough position to be in, but it's probably an important stage in your relationship. And in the end, you do have that original responsibility to your kids, before anything else that comes along later. Hope it works out for you!

I would never co-sign... my fiance and I have seperate bank accounts... I have a savings and checking that I had before we met, I added him to both accounts... He has a checking account locally, he added me as a joint... 

I have added him as an AU, because literally I trust him not to go buy a bass boat with the CC... the only one he really uses is the American Express, but that's because I told him how reward points work.

What I would and did do.... I paid off his vehicle.  Yes I love this man, and I will build a life with him. He had 5 yrs left on the loan for a 2008 Dodge Nitro. It wasn't a fancy vehicle by no means.  I had the choice, I could have paid off his loan at 22% interest. Or I could have paid off my own student loans which were at 7% interest. We were at the point in our relationship where I felt like what was his was mine and that what the lord blessed me with I should share. He never even asked. I had to ask him if I could do it, because he wanted to let the loan report for at least one yr. Now its gone Smiley Happy

So actually, this works out because we have 3 cars between the two of us. My Volvo and his Dodge is paid for. I still owe on the truck, but its financed with NFCU at 4%  Not bad.   Joey makes 65k per yr, and he trusts me to manage our money, both mine and his, in a way that will benefit us in our lives together. Couldn't ask for more than that.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 41 of 65
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

Webhopper, your stories seem to always amaze me.

BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 42 of 65
jon17brown
Valued Member

Ok lets get back to the original story here.

Any luck in the last few months Lithium??

Message 43 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't give yourself a hardtime. What is done is done. I am gald you took the time to write this post and warn us.

Message 44 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel very sorry for you but what you have said is a truee face of reality. To people it might look passion but to the victim, its his dreams getting destroyed by the hands of the  person he loved.

charlie79

Message 45 of 65
lithium78
Established Contributor

Still no luck.  I don't know why the CU has to be so difficult about this.  It's like they have no heart at all. :-(

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 46 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

That stinks!

I was really hoping you'd have some luck with this issue.  Keep trying, though. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 47 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

closest Ive ever been to cosigning a loan was adding a ex as an auth user on a CC I had, and watching her spend 2k on it that she eventually never paid back. That was enough for me to realize that unless we are legally married, nothing credit wise will be joint.

Message 48 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

closest Ive ever been to cosigning a loan was adding a ex as an auth user on a CC I had, and watching her spend 2k on it that she eventually never paid back. That was enough for me to realize that unless we are legally married, nothing credit wise will be joint.

My Ex got a little happy with a CC, too! I can laugh about it now but paying BoA back $6K stung at the time. Smiley Happy

In some states, people can be sued for spousal debt. That's pretty scary, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 49 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

The funny thing is this very topic came up a couple weeks ago at my job. A co worker told me he was making his girlfriend auth user on his new NFCU VISA, so she could buy things for their new place, without having access to his money via  a debit card. I told him good luck, hope it works out lol.

Message 50 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.