Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the "flip side", 1st credit use experiance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the "flip side", 1st credit use experiance

About two weeks ago I had my 15yr old son put on as a AU for my AMEX, When it arrived a couple days ago he and I had a frank discussion about credit and the responsibilities that came from using it..

Fast forward to today (mother's day)

Son asked if he could take me out to lunch and of course I said Yes...

After a great meal and wonderful conversation the waiter approached us with our bill. Son in a abnormally deep voice said "I got this sir..It's my treat" and he whipped out his brand spanking new AMEX and handed it to the waiter with all the confidence in the world. His chest was puffed out and he gave me a smile and said "It's my turn to pay for us" I wanted to cry..my baby boy (all though taller then I) was growing up.

The waiter came back with the little black folder and handed it to son, Son looked at me with total panic and said in a low voice "Mommy..what do I do?"

ROFL

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: On the "flip side", 1st credit use experiance

That's too cute. I read your story to my boyfriend and we both had a chuckle. I imagine the same thing happening with our son someday (he is 7).

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

He hasn't called me Mommy for abut two years...lol

I remember how "grown up" I felt the first time I ever used my CC (I was alot older then 15 too..lol) and I feel so honored that I got to experience that with my son and lets never forget..I'm going to get years of mileage on this one..lol

I just want him to have some decent amount credit knowledge before he gos to college and joins the world on his own.

He went to the ATM and pulled out the cost of our lunch out of his savings account (lawn mowing $$) and gave it to me to pay the bill when it comes in (his debit has no visa/mc symbol) and told me "don't forget Mom..it's important to keep a zero balance..again cracked me up

Message 3 of 4
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

This is all lovely be sure to see if you can get him in the habit of doing it himself and not having to rely on you to do it for him that way when he is on his own he will have a better understanding but of course be behind him and show/explain as it looks like you are this is all to cute and my son is only 2 but I worry about these days myself the only difference is I'm going to actually explain to him like you are instead of just letting him learn on his own like I did.....29 was wayyyyyy to late to start I wish I could have when I was 18 :'(    BUT I'm glad to see people treating it this way also it makes me feel better about the world we live in <3

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.