Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for future house for newlyweds with mixed FICO scores

tag
hoyagirl
New Visitor

Options for future house for newlyweds with mixed FICO scores

Hi everyone!  I hope everyone is doing well!

I have a quick question.  My hubby and I just got married and although we are pretty open about our finances, there was a snag in which we saw that his FiCO score is lower than he had hoped it would be years after the fact--- he had estimated that it had increased after a mishap with student loans from 4-5 years ago but it appears that it is not the case.  The job  market was really awful to him back then... since that snag, he has been 100% perfect with payments and bills, etc.  

In any case, we're both in a better place and we're employed, happy and healthy. We were thinking of getting a house within the next year, but his score is in the mid 600s while mine is in the high 700s.  The ding on his credit is due to be 'erased' in 3 years (7 years total, right?).   Should we still pursue/think about a house for the next year?  Or should we just wait until he's good to go in 3 years?  I'm in my mid-30s and he's 40 and we were thinking of having children soon, which is why we were thinking of a house soon.  If renting a house for a few years is better, I'd definitely consider it.  I currently own my condo with my aunt and just want to get out of that sticky situation too (and not have that be a messy situation since I'm now married).  Just getting your thoughts.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Options for future house for newlyweds with mixed FICO scores

Welcome to the forums!

Tough question; you may be able to resolve the SL (student loan) issues, maybe.  I'd certainly at least look into it in the rebuilding or student loan forums, I know absolutely nothing about SL's so I can't offer any advice personally.

The problem is the market is going to be moving over the next few years: all the talking heads are suggesting rates are going to go up, but economic data is seriously mixed.  Personally I hope we just pick a direction in the near future.  If rates go up, housing prices will fall, so that may not be the end of the world depending where you're looking.

If you're planning to have kids, I'd look at where I wanted to raise them, and then look to see if I could get into a house sooner than later.  Granted until they're in kindergarten I could make the argument school district and what not doesn't really matter, but I'd at least go looking at options now.  A 640+ can easily get underwritten on a loan, and there may be some other credit issues which you can clean up (high revolving utilization for example) as I have a bunch of derogatories from late 2010 which sounds like your time frame (tax lien, some lates, collection) and I just cleared north of 720 on a mortgage trifecta.

I guess as a plan of attack I'd approach it like the following:

1) pull my credit reports

2) see what could be fixed (student loan issues, or other things in your files)

3) fix what I could

4) pull my mortgage scores and see if I could make it work right now.

5) if I couldn't, go back to plan B which is wait a while, just it's hard to predict where we're going to be in 3 years at this point.

That's pretty much what I doing even without the spouse and kids to go on, just I had a longer time to optimize my reports over but I was pretty certain the mortgage market would be sort of flat or ease over my own timeline (starting in late 2011) but now, it's a little more pressing for me to do something right now regarding a mortgage.

        
Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Options for future house for newlyweds with mixed FICO scores

Good analysis Rev.

OP, what scores are you using? Have  you pulled mortgage scores here at MyFICO or did you post your FICO 08 scores? They are entirely different.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.