Valued Contributor
my-own-fico

Prenups

Over the last few days I've been reading/skimming a book with the title of Prenups for Lovers: A Romantic Guide to Prenuptial Agreements by Arlene G. Dubin.

I don't know why I did so, but probably out of idle curiosity. It's likely also for that reason that I did a search on "prenup" in this forum, but no hits. Can that be right?

Also, it wasn't until just the other day that I knew I live a community property state, so I'll go read what Noah_Bodie has to say on the matter.

Reported credit card debt EQ $0 TU $0 EX $0
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Prenups

To me, they still have kind of an ick factor for first marriages, but for subsequent marriages, especially when there are children from previous marriages, they seem very wise.

When my former mother-in-law married for the third time at age 70-something (she was twice widowed, and he was a widower), they did a pre-nup. He died 10 years later after a long and difficult battle with Alzheimer's dementia, and the pre-nup was very helpful to her in untangling the estate, and it kept all the adult children from weirding out about who got what.

(She is done marrying, per her announcement.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Senior Contributor
O6

my-own-fico wrote:

Over the last few days I've been reading/skimming a book with the title of Prenups for Lovers: A Romantic Guide to Prenuptial Agreements by Arlene G. Dubin.

I don't know why I did so, but probably out of idle curiosity. It's likely also for that reason that I did a search on "prenup" in this forum, but no hits. Can that be right?

Also, it wasn't until just the other day that I knew I live a community property state, so I'll go read what Noah_Bodie has to say on the matter.

Prenups are a lot like divorce decrees in that they usually have no effect on rights of creditors.

IAALBNYL
Senior Contributor
drkaje

I wouldn't get maried again without one. Just seems foolish.

Would have had one the first time if I knew how things were going to work out, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+