gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Random thoughts on buying a house alone

Grats on your new home    Emoticon-Thumbs Up.png

Message 11 of 19
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

hapagrrl, we are members of the same club. I bought an abandoned, foreclosed house that needed EVERYTHING from the foundation to the roof! I'm low income and don't have funds to pay contractors to do a lot of it, so yes I know all about sheetrock mud, dog needing to be walked, achy thighs from going up and down ladders, dirt and more dirt everywhere, trying to earn a living while keeping the roof from caving in, sleeping on a cot, moving boxes and furniture from room to room forever, and also that dizzy feeling of suddenly noticing it's 3:00 p.m. and my only nourishment for the day has been a cup of coffee.

The satisfaction is great though, isn't it!

Message 12 of 19
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

this will be me in 2-3 yrs..Im planning now!! congrats to you!!!
Message 13 of 19
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Single home owner here as well.  I thought at one point I'd never own a home, with bad credit, limited income and the expensive SoCal housing market.  But three years ago that all changed, and buying a house was the best thing I ever did.  I'm actually planning an addition this summer!

For me the single biggest factor that let's me sleep at night, plan an addition, plan to buy a second home etc., is a good handyman.  It has seriously been so freeing to know that if something goes wrong, or if I want to do something, I have someone who will do a good job and be reasonably priced. Find an antique dresser, but the finish is in bad shape, no problem!  Shower handle breaks off in the morning when you're trying to get to work.  Turn off the main and call my handyman.  Fixed by the time i get home.  He has actually turned into being my dog sitter as well!

But seriously, isn't it the best feeling to walk into your home and know it's all yours?  Your paint color, your flooring, your art work!

Message 14 of 19
JustWill
Valued Member

I couldn't agree more on the handyman! Although my SoCal house is currently being rented out, I was super stressed out for the first year and a half trying to get things fixed (or keep them working) and work full time and deal with my kid (way worse than dogs!)! Even if you don't have the budget to have them do everything, a good one will be a sounding board and help you make the right decision in the short term, rather than letting you make a bigger mess for them to clean up.

Message 15 of 19
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Single home owner here as well.  I thought at one point I'd never own a home, with bad credit, limited income and the expensive SoCal housing market.  But three years ago that all changed, and buying a house was the best thing I ever did.  I'm actually planning an addition this summer!

For me the single biggest factor that let's me sleep at night, plan an addition, plan to buy a second home etc., is a good handyman.  It has seriously been so freeing to know that if something goes wrong, or if I want to do something, I have someone who will do a good job and be reasonably priced. Find an antique dresser, but the finish is in bad shape, no problem!  Shower handle breaks off in the morning when you're trying to get to work.  Turn off the main and call my handyman.  Fixed by the time i get home.  He has actually turned into being my dog sitter as well!

But seriously, isn't it the best feeling to walk into your home and know it's all yours?  Your paint color, your flooring, your art work!

This is SO true! I can do every kind of finish work and some moderate framing, deck building and so on, but for the things I can't do, there's nothing more reassuring than knowing I've got a good handyman  ready to help. My guy has not only done some hard structural work but he's come out and bailed me out a few times when I've gotten in over my head.

Yeah, owning a home, even with all its expenses and "surprises," is the best thing in the world. This isn't my first house or even my first fixer, but the feeling of accomplishment is great every time.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congtats and props to you! i'm fighting an uphill battle myself. I'm in the process of getting divorce and I have no family out here besides my loyal doggie and a few fishes. I have so much debts right now that I know I won't qualify for a house on my own. But I'm working hard on it and I'm hoping next year I would qualify for a home. I'm so sick and tired of living with my current stage.

God bless you!

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enjoy home ownership! In the same boat but got tired of landlords and other people's noise etc. Now I can only crab at myself Smiley Happy
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the fixer upper! I'm very jealous. I'm daydreaming of a 100 year old farm over 20 acres. I'm currently renting, in what 2 years ago was beautiful forest, now nothing but construction sites. Hammers all day. Get me outta here. Hopefully me goal is next year.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.