Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: GF is AU on Freedom

tag
chrisMK
Established Member

I'll use this post just to ask something for myself.

I would like to help my gf getting on the right track with her credit.

What do you think is it smart making her AU on my high limit card but saving the card with me, so that I'll be the one that still manages my money but she can have that on her CR and can anything go bad like she ordering a replacment card without me knowning or anything? 

It might be rude asking this but it's "better safe then sorry" situation.

Thanks!

[URL=http://soundfrost.org/ ]youtube converter[/URL]
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

chrisMK,

I split your post to start a new thread.  I think you'll get better results that way.

If you are going to add her as an AU, I think you're doing the right thing.  Adding her but keeping the card.  Relationships can be hard, and even harder when finances are thrown in.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

chrisMK,

I split your post to start a new thread.  I think you'll get better results that way.

If you are going to add her as an AU, I think you're doing the right thing.  Adding her but keeping the card.  Relationships can be hard, and even harder when finances are thrown in.

You seem to be a bit concerned so I wouldn't even keep the card. Activate it and shred it right away. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 7
k-s
Regular Contributor

@chrisMK wrote:

I'll use this post just to ask something for myself.

I would like to help my gf getting on the right track with her credit.

What do you think is it smart making her AU on my high limit card but saving the card with me, so that I'll be the one that still manages my money but she can have that on her CR and can anything go bad like she ordering a replacment card without me knowning or anything? 

It might be rude asking this but it's "better safe then sorry" situation.

Thanks!

I personally would be more concerned about the fact that (assuming this is a serious relationship), you're considering spending your life with someone who you don't trust with finances. I understand you not wanting her to rack up debt on your cards, but if you couldn't trust her not to do that, isn't there a bigger issue? 

EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 4 of 7
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I think its a good idea.  Educate her on the way to use credit before lettin her loose with it.  Its not a trust thing but an educational item and this is a great way to show her how it affects your score.  My oldest is 19 and I will soon do the same for her.  I teach both of my kids that if you get a 1000 limit card, it means you can spend 100.   My Dw thinks if she has it she can spend it lol.  So i keep her little card at 80% utility most of the time so she doesnt go out with a girl friend that does have spending problems and keep up with her.

The way you are talking about doing is the way I will start my children and then the first card they get will be a secured card with their money.  I never had anyone teach me the ins and outs of credit management.

Make sure you teach her, not just help her with out her understanding Smiley Happy

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 5 of 7
Networth
Frequent Contributor

I put my girlfriend as a AU on a few of my cards before she was my fiance. I trusted her and knew she would never "screw" me. I just added her as an AU on my CSP, she knows the credit limits are very high and we PIF each month. I would say if you can't trust her with some money your relationship is probably not a very healthy one. That doesn't mean be stupid. I put my fiance on my low limit card (12k) a year or two before she got put on my high limit cards.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 6 of 7
mirachi
Regular Contributor

LOL probably really late, but FYI, Chase sends AU cards to the account holder

This is what Chase says (it's for CSP but experience shows the same happening for Freedom):

All correspondence, including statements and notifications, will be sent to the name and address on file for the primary cardmember.

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.