Should I save or pay off debt?

tag
907grown
Established Contributor

Re: Should I save or pay off debt?

Pay that insanity off ASAP!!

Starting Score: 460
Current Score: EQ 764, TU 764, EX 740,
BOA AK AIR 30,000, Discover IT 6300, Freedom 25,300, Barclays RMC 15,660, Ring 15,000, BCE 15,000, QS17,000,AARP 15,000, ChaseFU 8,000,AND A LOT MORE!
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice for you is to pay all the debts. Then, you may save your money with a clear conscience.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off the high interest credit card debt as fast as possible and do not use credit cards for the foreseeable future. Prepare a budget...there are many good budget templates online. Get your spending under control. And figure out what expenses you can cut or where you can earn additional income to start a systematic savings plan once the debt is paid off.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

People who say pay off debt first are not thinking about the anxiety and stress of not having any savings whatsoever.  Paying extra in interest while saving for a life emergency is a huge relief from the burden of being broke in the bank.

Check out the Savings Playground threads in "Personal Finance" for more on why savings is more important than saving interest in probably 9 out of 10 people who try it.  There isn't one financial expert out there who will say pay more in interest today if it means you can build your nest egg, but I've been doing it and have gotten hundreds (maybe thousands) of others through my Facebook posts about it and 90% of those who do it say it's a huge anxiety relief to save even if it means paying a little extra in interest.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with those who say "stop using credit."  Put your cards away or cut them up.  Pay down highest interest first.  After all are paid, try to save 3-6 months living expenses.  Maybe pull out your cards once every 6 months for a tank of gas or something, just to keep them active.

Once you are successful at living on cash for a few years, get the cards and continue to do the same thing.  You won't end up with maxed cards that way.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.