cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I mentioned after we get married we should...

tag
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: So I mentioned after we get married we should...

@Anonymous wrote:
Glad I am not in that boat. If I wanted to split things and have separate accounts, I would pick up a roommate, not a wife. Being greedy is not what a marriage is about. To me, it sounds absurd. Just my 2 cents though.

FWIW I make about double what the wife makes, and would neverconsidser saying something like that. Will she ask you for child support when you have kids too?lol

It's not being greedy.  In addition, let's realize that having a discussion and feeling comfortable with the decision is a marriage.  If she pays more and resents it, the marriage won't last.  Also 50% of marriages end in divorce.  Most of them due to money and failure to communicate.  What OP did by bringing up the topic is vital.  The agreement OP and his fiance end up with may not be right for you, but that's why it's OPs relationship.

As long as both of them talk and make known their viewpoint, they have a very good chance. Marriage is work, compromise, and companionship.  If people are afraid of Child support if things go south, then don't have kids.  Child care if more than 1K per month.  In some areas it's a lot more.  Thus much of child support (unless the non-custodial parent is wealthy) is to assist or pay for child care while the custodial parent is working. Thus the custodial parent is still paying for the majority support of child. They're just getting assistance for the babysitting while they work.

OP I'm glad you had the conversation and I applaud your maturity on broaching the subject prior to the wedding.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 41 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.