Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouse debt on my credit card and vice verse

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Spouse debt on my credit card and vice verse

My Husband as I both have a cc before marriage. Those debts date back to 2006 which we did not pay off. Mine turned into a legal notice. My old cc debt is listed on his as a authorized user. And his old cc debt listed me as an authorized user. These are both prior to marriage in 2008 and as I read this should not have happened. My cc was Chase master card , 2010 turned into a legal notice. And his is a citi card which he paid off in 2009 and it doesn't state we paid it just states charged off.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Spouse debt on my credit card and vice verse

Whenever you are an AU on someone else's CC, both you and that person will share the same payment history, balances, CLs, stati, etc. It's no different in your case. If one defaults, then the other will show the same on their report. 

If you are listed as an AU on a bad account, or even a good account, you can dispute as "not mine". He can't do that because the card is his, but you can do that because the card is not yours. And he can do the same to his account that he's listed as an AU on. The CRAs will remove the AU account.

For the unpaid CC CO, I recommend sending a PFD letter, or pay it off and send GW letters later.

For the CO that was paid in 2009, does it report a balance at $0? It can still report as a charge-off even after paid.

BTW, Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you , I disputed one account with the crb but they did not send me any info on the disputes after 30 days. I contacted the fInancial protection bureau and made a few complaints.

I notified chase executive to directly fix and see if i can make paymets for the legal notice and sent a complaint to the financial protection bureau.
Thank you for your help , my FICO score is 608 and I'm looking to see how to improve it. I applied for target card but since I have the legal notice and 2 collections , only part bad on my history is payments . So I think I will get denied .

For the citi card debt it doesn't show a $0 , it shows the balance of $1,000.00 , which my Husband paid.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

For the citi card debt it doesn't show a $0 , it shows the balance of $1,000.00 , which my Husband paid.

It should be reporting $0. I'd send a GW to them asking them not to update to $0, but to delete.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes upon reviewing the debt it was a $0 balance I will send them a GW to delete the account which that is what they had said to my Husband when he paid it off. Thanks for the replies !!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.