cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sticky pickle with fiance and terrible credit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sticky pickle with fiance and terrible credit!

I'm desperately hoping to avoid harboring any more resentment towards myself and my fiance, maybe there are some helpful tips someone could provide to aid in my attempt to establish some credit for him so he doesn't have to continue to tarnish mine. 

I'm 28, living with my fiance of 8 years, and just recently moved to a new state. We, or should I say I, incurred about $1800 of debt moving up here and then making our house liveable as this was our first home together and his first time out of his parent's house period. I did not forsee this as a problem, since my new salary and new atmosphere would be worth it. I had lived on my own for awhile but moved in with him to his parent's house for about 5 years. I was able to save up enough to fund most of this move for the both of us. Seeing as he did not have much guidance, his credit has basically been a by-product of his parents' bad habits at the time. (When I first moved in, I caught wind his bank account was his mother's sock drawer until I persuaded him to start managing his own money himself!)  After getting caught up in an insane monthly car payment, and seemingly never-ending student loans, and less than desireable work situations, he was in over his head. His parents continued to "manage" these loans and led him to believe he was doing just fine. I had no clue he was not actually taking part in any of this otherwise I would have pushed sooner but I didn't believe it was my place to nose in on his business. Long story short, after he defaulted on just about every single car payment for years, requesting decreases and thus adding more time to the loan, amongst other discrepancies, his credit score has suffered and he has been turned down for all major credit cards.

I felt after a year of living together in our new home he was showing responsibility and working with me to learn how to manage money and pay bills. His car is very expensive to maintain (would not agree to sell it even if he was dead) so I agreed to reqlinquish one of my credit cards to him for repairs and other NECESSITIES. This was my fault. I have asked several times for it back, but end up folding and giving it back to him after long talks about being more careful. At this point, sometimes I feel like a nagging mother which is not a very good feeling inside. Needless to say, he has racked up $3,885 on my Discover card with a $4000 limit! I only have one other card with Citibank that I have dental and health bills I'm paying off amounting to $2200 of my $4400 limit.

I feel this is an overwhelming battle that I do not know how to get out of. I would like to be able to find a way for him to stat to bring up his score and maybe apply for a card on his own so I can try to transfer some if this balance to his name. My previuosly great credit score of 795 was the reason we were able to get the (rental)home we have now and have all of our deposits waived. I'm afraid if my score starts to drop even more than it has, down to 693, we'll pay for it later when we try to purchase a house of our own. He is a great person and I truly believe he has a difficult managing his spending and money in general from shear lack of experience. I see it wearing down on him but it's also wearing down on me. I don't want to lose this great relationship over something so frivolous.  

Is it a bad idea to respond to an offer from Express to try to bring my available credit up to maybe lower my ratio? I know this will decrease the age of all of my accounts yet again, but I'm not sure which is worse? Are there any dependable credit card offers to people with a 500 score that maybe he could try out? Please help!

(I apologize for the lengthy story)

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Sticky pickle with fiance and terrible credit!

Here's the thing: what you're describing isn't something frivolous. This is pretty substantial.

Is it a bad idea to increase your credit score in an already precarious financial situation by opening more accounts? Yes. Especially with a store card.

Is he serious about getting out of debt? The fact that his car is expensive and he can't give up your credit cards are both huge red flags. You can't fix this for him. He has to be willing to do it. Whatever you do, don't buy a home with this man until he can gain a little perspective. Take it from me, there is nothing worse than trying to build a life with someone who can't get it together financially. I wish you luck. Truly.
Message 2 of 15
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I would be very concerned that he has - repeatedly - abus...

I would be very concerned that he has - repeatedly - abused the boundaries you have set regarding YOUR credit card. Take the card back now. Let him figure out how to pay for his expensive car.

Does he pay any of his other bills on time, without your help or reminders?

Does he spend his money on frivolous things, like sodas, coffees, fast food, candy, cigarettes, or "stuff?"

Message 3 of 15
aav
Established Contributor

Re: I would be very concerned that he has - repeatedly - abus...

When hubby and I married, I had (and still have) better credit, but I had a huge student loan that I ignored for years. I also had some credit debt incurred while moving him from his home state to mine. I ran the household finances but not very well and when we split temporarily our credit took a big dip.

We finally got ourselves together. He put me on a cash only basis and got a good grasp on our bills steadily. I was happy with the amount I was allotted to maintain the household and personal spending. It was necessary and I'm glad that happened. We are both now in excellent standing. You have to work together. The stronger partner needs to take the reins and get things under control. We each have our own credit cards. I give him a percentage of my pay and he handles the bills. I handle household and personal needs plus a few small bills. It works well for us and every couple needs a plan that they agree to.

Your fiancé has a lot of growing up to do. He allowed his parents to take his finances for him and they were not much help. He doesn't realize it, but he needs your guidance. It will not be easy, but you need to take the lead. I would also recommend counseling .. Credit counseling and possibly marriage counseling if he is willing to attend.

Congratulations on your credit awareness. You have a good head on your young shoulders. I hope you can get this guy on board.

EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I would be very concerned that he has - repeatedly - abus...

I dated a guy just like this once. Two years of my life, wasted. It was horrid. I look back now and wonder what the **** I was thinking! My advice is to separate your finances from this guy as much as humanly possible. I'm just going to be brutally honest here, but it sounds like you are dating an overly-mothered, lazy, irresponsible guy. If you don't separate yourself from him completely, at least cut ties financially. I see so many red flags here. I hope you don't get caught up in his whirlwind of financial stupidity. Please don't buy a house with/marry/have a child with this guy. Not yet. He needs to grow up, first.

Message 5 of 15
Pway
Valued Contributor

This man needs to take accountability of his own actions.  You are putting a crutch on him, giving him your credit card and now he has maxed it out.  In the beginning it should of been a red flag when he is over his head with car payments and his mother has been taking care of all his financial matters.  If it was me I would cancel that card immediately and begin paying that balance down.  If he is not in charge of his finances now, then why are you even considering purchasing a house with him.  I would tell him you either get your stuff together or we need to part ways.  Not the easiest thing to do but he needs a serious wake up call. One other thing if he was not responsible with your discover card then why should you be concerned with opening credit in his name.  So he can rack up the balances and expect you to pay them.  It seems this guy has no remorse for what he as done because he would of never charged your discover to the limit.  Please be careful and you need to weigh your options with this guy.

Good Luck and I wish you the best.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:
Here's the thing: what you're describing isn't something frivolous. This is pretty substantial.

Is it a bad idea to increase your credit score in an already precarious financial situation by opening more accounts? Yes. Especially with a store card.

Is he serious about getting out of debt? The fact that his car is expensive and he can't give up your credit cards are both huge red flags. You can't fix this for him. He has to be willing to do it. Whatever you do, don't buy a home with this man until he can gain a little perspective. Take it from me, there is nothing worse than trying to build a life with someone who can't get it together financially. I wish you luck. Truly.

I agree 100%! My younger daughter is getting a divorce and financial issues are the number one reason. HE has to want to make things better. You can't do it for him. (Off soap box now.)

Message 7 of 15
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:

I agree 100%! My younger daughter is getting a divorce and financial issues are the number one reason. HE has to want to make things better. You can't do it for him. (Off soap box now.)

You hav received extremely sound and reasonable advice herein. Please take it. Do not allow your feelings for this person to reduce u to the role of an enabler. U deserve better and if U truly care for him..... so does he. Yes... like your partner we all hav a past but nonetheless time waits for no one. Learn from this and (while I hope U find a way to resolve) be prepared to accept the possibility that although u obviously care for this individual that they may not be the one. Always remember.... U can 'never' change someone else. The only person U can change.... is you. I wish u nothing the best going forward.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to myFico. Excellent advice given by all people on this thread.  OP, all the best in whatever you do.

Message 9 of 15
800ficogirl
Regular Contributor

Im not going to ask silly questions like why did you give him your card, or remind you of what a big mistake that was as im sure you already know and have learned a valueable lesson from it,.  Instead i'll tell you the best way in my opinion how to help the situation going forward,.. This guy can not grasp how important paying down those credit cards quickly mean,.. you will need to pay those suckers down to at least under 20% and perferably completely to avoid compounding interest and further damange to your score. Let him pay you back as a loan",.. but dont depend on him to take your credit worthiness as serious as you. He doesnt understand credit the way we do,..  Next,.. once your credit cards are back in good standing, Add him as an authorized user if you havent already and DO NOT give him a card. Dont even order one for him,, you have the option not to order,..Continue to educate him on credit,.. and when he is done paying you back in full".. slowly and carefully revisit the idea of moving on to the next steps in helping him re-build his credit,. Now comes the not so easy part,.. You both need to find more ways to earn money. Depending on credit cards for auto repairs, bills, and etc is a red flag that you are living beyound your means,. you need to fund an emergency fund. That way when a problem arise credit cards arent your first and only option. especially if its nearing a statement close date and you know you wont have it paid back in time for high utilization reporting,.. Overall good thing you stopped the madeness at $3800 and not $10,000,.. it racks up pretty quickly,.. (trust i know),..  best wishes to your and i hope you can fix this and save your relationship

Starting Score: 524
Current Score:672-709
Goal Score:800

WellsFargo $2700 - NF Rewards Visa Signature $5000 - NF Rewards $3200 - Barclay $5500 - Walmart $3500- Sleep center $2000 - Cap One Quick Silver $4500 - Khols $300- HHGreggs $3000 - NFCU Checking Line $15,000 - Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.