Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes, Bank Accounts and Judgements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Taxes, Bank Accounts and Judgements

I need some advice on anything that I can do...

Ok, here's the deal.  My girlfriend (first wife, divorced 20 years ago but we're getting back together) and I share a bank account.  She has not been working in over a year, so the only money that has been depositied in our joint account has been from me.

Turns out, she owes the state bureau of revenue (bor) a couple thousand dollars in back taxes interest and fines.  It's a valid debt, the story of which I won't go in to here, but suffice it to say she messed up by not addressing it earlier.

Now, the problem.  The state has placed a hold on our account and, basically, wiped it out (and even put us in the red).  Bills that were pending/paid were cancelled and sent back to the companies as NSF.  The bank has also been placing fees for being overdrawn.

She called the state bor and made arrangements to pay in installments, and they promised to have the bank release the holds.  This should have been done by last Monday.  When I checked the account, the hold was still there.  She called the state bor again and they said there was an issue, but it would be resolved in 48 hours (it still hasn't been).  Meanwhile, I'm having robocalls from debtors who should have been paid.

So, now to the question...  Does the state have the right to do this?  As I said, she has not been working in over a year so (I hate to be "that guy") the money is technically mine not hers.  What (if any) are my options?

TIA

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Taxes, Bank Accounts and Judgements

If her name is on the account then yes, the state can do this.  The source of the funds doesn't matter.  If her name is on the account the funds are technially hers.  This is why we don't own assets or have joint bank/credit card accounts with women who aren't our wife.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same situation with a joint account I have with my dad.  The think here in California they can't touch it if it has less than a certain balance (I believe it's $3k).

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If she can make arrangements and have the lien lifted I would open a new bank account and make sure she's not on it.  With my situation I was able to make payment arrangements and the funds were released in a day or two.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If she can make arrangements and have the lien lifted I would open a new bank account and make sure she's not on it.  With my situation I was able to make payment arrangements and the funds were released in a day or two.

I agree to this ^^^^^

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear that! 

hope it all gets solved.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.