Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning brother in for CC fraud

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Turning brother in for CC fraud

I recently learned that my brother opened up two credit card accounts in my name and has accumulated charges of roughly 6k. I assume my only option is two turn him into the CC company for the fraud or take the hit on my credit and repay the debt myself. Does anyone know what will happen to my brother if I turn him in for fraud to the CC companies, I assyume he will be arrested? Thanks

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Turning brother in for CC fraud

This may fit better in the Relationships and Money threads. First, you should immediately notify the CCC's that the accounts were open under and have them frozen. Next, you would have to fill out a police report first to resolve yourself from the debts. After that, the CCC would want a copy of the police report to officially resolve you from the debts.

He will definitely be arrested by the police for fraud charges. I do not think there is a way around that because once the report is filed it is no longer in your hands...

Message 2 of 41
codimom
Frequent Contributor

and to add to this, identity fraud is very hard to recover from.  Call the companies and report it, file the police report and then contact ALL the credit bureaus to freeze your credit so that neither he nor anyone else can  open anything in your name without verification.  PITA but worth it.

edited because can and can't have totally different meanings Smiley Happy

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 3 of 41
mmmagique
Regular Contributor

OP, it's obvious you care about your brother, but he stole from you, and he needs to have consequences to those actions. You don't want him to turn around and do this  to an elderly relative or anyone else because he got away with it when he did it to you. 

You need to turn him in so that you can get your own credit repaired. The only way you're going to get the companies and agencies to listen to you is if you do what you know is right, and turn him in. 

You're facing a decision you shouldn't have to face, but you didn't do anything wrong. Turning him in isn't doing anything wrong either. It may be the best thing you could possibly do for him. 

In the garden until May 2022!!
Message 4 of 41
indecison
Regular Contributor

@mmmagique wrote:

OP, it's obvious you care about your brother, but he stole from you, and he needs to have consequences to those actions. You don't want him to turn around and do this  to an elderly relative or anyone else because he got away with it when he did it to you. 

You need to turn him in so that you can get your own credit repaired. The only way you're going to get the companies and agencies to listen to you is if you do what you know is right, and turn him in. 

You're facing a decision you shouldn't have to face, but you didn't do anything wrong. Turning him in isn't doing anything wrong either. It may be the best thing you could possibly do for him. 

+1 Well put! Nothing to add to that!

Message 5 of 41
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@mmmagique wrote:

Totally agree!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 41
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

It's a tough decision, but turning him in is the tough love that will help him the most.

May I ask how you discovered the fraud?

Message 7 of 41
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@mmmagique wrote:

100+% agree with this!  You're in a tough spot.  Just think of it this way, if your brother cared as much about you as you do him he wouldn't have commited fraud against you.  Sorry, this is a crappy situation no matter how you look at it.

Message 8 of 41
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

If he cared about you he shouldn't have did what he did. If i was in your situation i'd turn him into the police ASAP

Message 9 of 41
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

If this is his first offense of this type and there were extenuating circumstances, you might give him a chance to make good.   Or a family intervention might be appropriate.

If on the other hand, this is his normal behavior, call the police.    

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.