Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning brother in for CC fraud

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

Re: Turning brother in for CC fraud

First freeze your credit. This may be the tip of the iceberg, and I would hate for more fraud to show up. Next, you have to go to the police. The longer you wait, the more you make CC's think YOU are actually the one behind this. Make the tough decision and do what you have to do.  Good luck!!!

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 11 of 41
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Wow, what a tough spot to be in. Who can you trust when you cannot even trust family? I know it's your brother but we are talking about your financial well-being. I agree to freeze your reports and you have no choice but to file a report against your brother if you don't want to take the hit. Sorry you are going through this but I say protect your own interests. Even if you took full responsibility of the debt to protect your brother, you would be doing him injustice. Who is to say he would not do this to someone else less forgiving. Tough love is the best love.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 12 of 41
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Frankly, over 6 grand (unless we were both flat broke) I wouldn't put my brother in jail along with it's horrible treatment and the effect it would have on him the rest of his life.  I'd face him like a man and tell him the accounts have been closed and ask how he's going to pay me back before I ever considered doing that to him.  Blood is still thicker than money.   I for one can replace money, I can NOT however replace a brother.

I think a lot of you are talking through your hats on this one!

I would put a freeze on my credit however first thing though regardless.

I'll tell you one thing for a fact, no matter what you think of your brother now, he will only come out of the prison system a much worse person and very resentful of you for life, you will no longer have that brother.  Think about that before you listen to these "OH I GOT COJONES" blowhards.  These people MAY watch a little too much "Doctor" Phil at times............

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 13 of 41
bradpitt
Valued Member

Been lurking for a few months.  Most of your guys have great advise but I think the op may be mislead here.  Though he hasn't logged on since the initial post so hopefully he called his parents to ask for advise.

I agree with Wolf3 and  RyVision.

We don't know enough about what is happening.

How old is his brother for one.  Is he young and foolish?  We all have done things that we wish we wouldn't have when we were young.

Did the bothers have a feud?  Some siblings do the stupidest things when fighting.

Calling the police in either of the above scenarios would be bad.  His brother and maybe parents and siblings would never forgive him.

Or is the brother a rotten apple.  In that case then sure call the police.

Otherwise I think it best to call the parents if they are still alive and get there input.

Best case would be that the parents would pay off the dept and op submit goodwill letters explaining what happened to have any late dates removed off  his credit report.

Like  RyVision said any call to the police would pretty much end any good life that the brother could have had......

I sure couldn't do that to any of my brothers even if they did something as stupid as this.

Message 14 of 41
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Frankly, over 6 grand (unless we were both flat broke) I wouldn't put my brother in jail along with it's horrible treatment and the effect it would have on him the rest of his life.  I'd face him like a man and tell him the accounts have been closed and ask how he's going to pay me back before I ever considered doing that to him.  Blood is still thicker than money.   I for one can replace money, I can NOT however replace a brother.

I'll tell you one thing for a fact, no matter what you think of your brother now, he will only come out of the prison system a much worse person and very resentful of you for life, you will no longer have that brother.  Think about that before you listen to these "OH I GOT COJONES" blowhards.  These people MAY watch a little too much "Doctor" Phil at times............

I like my brothers, and would say I am closest to my little brother. I would not hesitate for one second to ring the police on him if he did this to me. Why should I be concerned if he would resent me for life? To be honest, I would resent him for life and never speak to him again. I loaned a cousin and a close friend money and they never paid it back; I have not spoken to them since and this was around three years ago. I do not play games when it comes to money, and for someone to open credit cards claiming to be me is about as bad as it gets.

You may not sever ties with family so easily, but I have no problem with it. If he cared about family so much the cards would not have been open. In my opinion, just because someone is family does not mean they should get any kind of special treatment when it comes to the rules.

Message 15 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

I like my brothers, and would say I am closest to my little brother. I would not hesitate for one second to ring the police on him if he did this to me. Why should I be concerned if he would resent me for life? To be honest, I would resent him for life and never speak to him again. I loaned a cousin and a close friend money and they never paid it back; I have not spoken to them since and this was around three years ago. I do not play games when it comes to money, and for someone to open credit cards claiming to be me is about as bad as it gets.

You may not sever ties with family so easily, but I have no problem with it. If he cared about family so much the cards would not have been open. In my opinion, just because someone is family does not mean they should get any kind of special treatment when it comes to the rules.

Huge +1  Why should "blood be thicker than money" for the OP when it sure isn't for his brother?  Not only that, but the OP will not be the one putting his brother in jail if he reveals the crime, his brother put himself in jail when he committed the crime.  Actions have consequences, it's the nature of the universe, and it sounds like it's about time the OP's brother learned this.  The OP might think his protecting him by not telling the police, but really he is making himself be an easy mark and his brother will probably continue to exploit their bond until the time when he can no longer avoid the consequences of his actions.

Message 16 of 41
Smug
Established Contributor

Agree, I would never put a relative in jail, I would however raid his home for the outstanding balance.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 17 of 41
Cageym
Established Contributor

Whenever money and family are involved just be prepared to never see the money again. His brother obviously has some issue that made him steal $6,000 from his own brother. And if you just let him slide you are an enabler for whatever issue he has and he will find a way to get more money from you. Never mind what it's going to do to his credit and the cost of getting rid of that, even if he doesn't call the cops and decides to wait it out until it drops.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 18 of 41
princechristian
Regular Contributor

Gotta agree with Wolf3, RyVision, and Bradpitt on this one...

If this is the norm for his brother and he's already been in and out of jail, that's different.

But if this is a rare or first time occasion then $6k, or any amount that I could personally recover from, is definitely not enough to make me call police on family members, especially a brother. 

Revolvers: FP Gold $300, FP Platinum $300, Applied Bank Business $500, Kay Jewelers $500, Fingerhut $400, Gettington $300

Installers: KHEAA student loan, Dealer Funding LLC auto loan x2, Crescent Bank auto loan, Acceptance Loan Co personal loan x2

Negatives: 1 collection - 2010 $307, Auto lates - 2 30 days, 60 day, 2009 / 3 30 days, 60 day, 2012

Message 19 of 41
GomerPyle
Regular Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

+1

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.