Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning brother in for CC fraud

tag
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Re: Turning brother in for CC fraud

@RyVision wrote:

Frankly, over 6 grand (unless we were both flat broke) I wouldn't put my brother in jail along with it's horrible treatment and the effect it would have on him the rest of his life.  I'd face him like a man and tell him the accounts have been closed and ask how he's going to pay me back before I ever considered doing that to him.  Blood is still thicker than money.   I for one can replace money, I can NOT however replace a brother.

I think a lot of you are talking through your hats on this one!

I would put a freeze on my credit however first thing though regardless.

I'll tell you one thing for a fact, no matter what you think of your brother now, he will only come out of the prison system a much worse person and very resentful of you for life, you will no longer have that brother.  Think about that before you listen to these "OH I GOT COJONES" blowhards.  These people MAY watch a little too much "Doctor" Phil at times............

Obviously not to the brother. Thou shall not steal!!!

I doubt he would get prison time, especially if it's a first offense. Fines and probation and if it is not the first time than he deserves the jail time. The experience might make him a better person and or at least think twice. I am sorry but I would report my brother or sister in a minute if they did that to me...but they would never do anything like that..never.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 21 of 41
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@calihlove75 wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

Frankly, over 6 grand (unless we were both flat broke) I wouldn't put my brother in jail along with it's horrible treatment and the effect it would have on him the rest of his life.  I'd face him like a man and tell him the accounts have been closed and ask how he's going to pay me back before I ever considered doing that to him.  Blood is still thicker than money.   I for one can replace money, I can NOT however replace a brother.

I'll tell you one thing for a fact, no matter what you think of your brother now, he will only come out of the prison system a much worse person and very resentful of you for life, you will no longer have that brother.  Think about that before you listen to these "OH I GOT COJONES" blowhards.  These people MAY watch a little too much "Doctor" Phil at times............

I doubt he would get prison time, especially if it's a first offense. Fines and probation and if it is not the first time than he deserves the jail time. The experience might make him a better person and or at least think twice. I am sorry but I would report my brother or sister in a minute if they did that to me...but they would never do anything like that..never.

Do NOT make assumptions about the legal system when it comes to another persons dealings with an issue like this that has absolutely no bearing on you whatsoever.  You do not have the slightest clue as to what the legal system would do, that is obvious.  Do NOT give the OP the idea that the court system will slap their brother on the wrist and everything will smooth out for both.  It WILL NOT HAPPEN that way.

Those handing out the "hang em high" advice are NOT in this persons shoes, do not know how it will affect them and are not psychologist, legal professionals or involved in any way.  Telling someone to do what THEY would do (possibly) if in such a situation, on a forum, over the internet, in simple text, is very self important as you are not involved, connected, related, or even correct.  The only person that can make this call is the OP, and not on the "Oh I'd do this because everyone needs tough love blah blah", but on information as to facts of the situation.  Which are what I put in my post. I would never tell a total stranger they should take such an action, I would only tell them WHAT I KNOW could be the out comes and that it was their decision to make and what I'd take into consideration first. 

Think about that before telling someone you've never met how they should handle such a matter as though you're giving out simple credit score advice.

Not only is there "thou shalt not steal" there also is "Thou shalt not judge",  try to remember you have to take all those statements into account and not just pick your favorites  (very few people are able to remember that).

[EDIT]:  Until it's you, sit down and shut up.  Now how's THAT tough love for ya?

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 22 of 41
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@calihlove75 wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

Do NOT make assumptions about the legal system when it comes to another persons dealings with an issue like this that has absolutely no bearing on you whatsoever.  You do not have the slightest clue as to what the legal system would do, that is obvious.  Do NOT give the OP the idea that the court system will slap their brother on the wrist and everything will smooth out for both.  It WILL NOT HAPPEN that way.

Those handing out the "hang em high" advice are NOT in this persons shoes, do not know how it will affect them and are not psychologist, legal professionals or involved in any way.  Telling someone to do what THEY would do (possibly) if in such a situation, on a forum, over the internet, in simple text, is very self important as you are not involved, connected, related, or even correct.  The only peson that can make this call is the OP, and not on the "Oh I'd do this because everyone needs tough love blah blah", but on information as to facts of the situation.  Which are what I put in my post. I would never tell a total stranger they should take such an action, I would only tell them WHAT I KNOW could be the out comes and that it was their decision to make and what I'd take into consideration first. 

Think about that before telling someone you've never met how they should handle such a matter as though you're giving out simple credit score advice.

Not only is there "thou shalt not steal" there also is "Thou shalt not judge",  try to remember you have to take all those statements into account and not just pick your favorites  (very few people are able to remember that).

It is human nature to judge. Making the OP feel that turning in his brother will result in the brother/family resenting him for life or that it means he doesn't have allegiance to his family is just has judgmental. Get off your soapbox. You have your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 23 of 41
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Bottom line: the brother stole from the brother, and screwed his credit for 7 1/2 yrs also collectors sueing him for it.

Blood or not I'm not going to get played by anybody and my financial life be in ruins because your my so called brother. Relatives do not do grimy sh*t like that to each other. He needs to learn a lesson for it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 24 of 41
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I have first hand experience with this situation. My brother has done worse. Opened credit cards in my parents name, gotten car loans in my sister's name and sold my text books right in the middle of the semester. We didn't turn him to the cops- he did that himself by messing with other individuals who eventually called the cops on him. However we did everything we could to make him see the errors of his way.

Today, my bother is still not completely centered but he's come a long way. We have no regrets about the way we handled things. In retrospect, I'm glad we did NOT get the cops involved. No matter how hard life is, it is always great to know that one has the love and support of family to fall back on.

I really get amazed how easily people get riled up by money. To the extent that it affects the relationship between friends and family. I lost a very good friend of mine a few weeks ago. She died at 32. She had the rest of her life ahead of her. It reminded me how short life is and how money is NEVER worth losing people over.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 25 of 41
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Those handing out the "hang em high" advice are NOT in this persons shoes, do not know how it will affect them and are not psychologist, legal professionals or involved in any way.  Telling someone to do what THEY would do (possibly) if in such a situation, on a forum, over the internet, in simple text, is very self important as you are not involved, connected, related, or even correct.  The only person that can make this call is the OP, and not on the "Oh I'd do this because everyone needs tough love blah blah", but on information as to facts of the situation.  Which are what I put in my post. I would never tell a total stranger they should take such an action, I would only tell them WHAT I KNOW could be the out comes and that it was their decision to make and what I'd take into consideration first. 

[EDIT]:  Until it's you, sit down and shut up.  Now how's THAT tough love for ya?

This person is clearly asking for advice, and did not say that they only want it from people who have experienced this. If they did not want people's opinions, they would have just asked what happens when someone uses someone elses identity. Have you been in this situation before? If not why are you responding to the post?

Message 26 of 41
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:
... and screwed his credit for 7 1/2 yrs also collectors sueing him for it.

That was not in the OP post.   He just has cards with $6K balance.   You are jumping to unfounded conclusions.

Message 27 of 41
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

First how you brother got hold of your SSN to apply for CCs? I have a younger brother and if he were ever to do this to me i wouldnt turn him in. But i would [mod cut for profanity] and sell his stuff, make him work to pay me back. Im not from this country so showing someone that we care by beating them its tough love for us.

Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 28 of 41
LS2982
Mega Contributor

It may not have been in his post but ultimately that is what will happen if he doesn't report it as fraud. It is what it is.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently learned that my brother opened up two credit card accounts in my name and has accumulated charges of roughly 6k. I assume my only option is two turn him into the CC company for the fraud or take the hit on my credit and repay the debt myself. Does anyone know what will happen to my brother if I turn him in for fraud to the CC companies, I assyume he will be arrested? Thanks

Rhetorical question first... Does your brother have the money and the desire to pay these debts?  I thought so...anyway your brother is just like myself and anyone else on this board: we're all human.  The fact that he's your brother has nothing to do with how you proceed to move forward with this matter.  Had a long time friend created this situation, I'm sure you'd probably consider all options as it relates to clearing this debt. If your brother decided that it was a good idea to open charge cards in your name and exercised poor judgment by moving forward with it, then he needs to pay the bill.  On the other hand, if he isn't willing to make it right by paying the bill promptly, then our legal system can intervene and remind him of his obligation in the matter and place a hold on his income tax returns especially if he has dependents. 

Message 31 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.