Senior Contributor
drkaje

Re: Unmarried couple buying house

^ It's more a matter of practicality than protecting myself, LOL! If dealing with all the legal consequences of marriage were the desire, I'd do it now. I've been with DGF longer than first marriage so it's not a matter of commitment. It's simply admitting that joint ownership of a home is essentially a financial marriage.

She's great and we're lucky to have her! That being said, I'm committed to never paying a lawyer for help to end a relationship again. 

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
lucasoil4u

I was in the same boat as you pulled the trigger on the house. We lived there for a year. We broke up sold the house and we both lost 10k. I wouldnt do it cause I learned the hard way. Do it one persons name and have the other person pay rent thats the best way to do it. 

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

drkaje wrote:

@ MissExcellentCredit,

You somehow managed to neatly sum up what was bothering me about the whole situation before I even figured it out.

Women really are smarter than us men, LOL!

Funny thing is, I would have never figured out why the idea felt icky. Seeing it in black and white makes me go "Jeez, Jake! The whole point of a girlfriend is you don't lose half your crap if it's time to make a change!". I can't imagine intentionally putting the kids in moving or changing homes again

Thank you! I'm not necessarily happy about finally getting it but am glad to understand things better. :smileyhappy:

My current husband and I were dating when I was house hunting.  I was buying the house for me and my daughter to live in, and as we weren't married, I wanted something that I could afford on my own.  We knew we would get married, and we are married now, but I felt more comfortable buying the house on my own and co-habiting until we both felt comfortable taking the plunge.  Oklahoma is also a seperate property state, and I pay the mortgage and provided the down payment from my own funds... so there is also some protection there as far as assets if we were to ever split.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
rootpooty

here we are almost 8 mos later. what happened? spill the beans lol

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 3k | BOFA 123 3k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 1800 | Walmart 1450 | Buckle 300

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Senior Contributor
drkaje

USAA said my DTI was too high when student loans were factored in. We're in an Apt. :smileyhappy:

I more or less look at it from the 'when the money's right, I won't have to worry about the score' perspective. I did dislike three hard pulls though. Wish USAA had a method of pre-qualifying me (or not) that involved soft pulls but they were great to work with.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 754 FICO, EQ 737FICO
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Repo-ed

Everything happens for a reason, and that seems like the best possible thing to happen.

Super Contributor
marty56

Repo-ed wrote:

Everything happens for a reason, and that seems like the best possible thing to happen.

A similar thng happened to me back in my credit dark days which were also my relationship dark days altought I didn't realize that part at the time until it was too late.

Things did happend to me for a reason and when the time is right to buy a home, you will know it is with the right person since they either stuck by you or you found someone else who would.

09/12/2013 FICO: EQ: 772 EX:813 TU:752
Regular Contributor
tammyjk

[ Edited ]

Just some food for thought if anyone is planning on doing this:

Think about what would happen to your partner if you should pass away.

Think about what would happen to you if your partner leaves.

Talk to an attorney!

I lived with my ex for 13 years and we built 2 homes ect.  We finally married and then divorced.  Because we built the homes BEFORE we were married I really had no rights.  Sort of.  Lucily my ex and I went our seperate ways and remained friends.  He kept one home, I kept the other but both homes were in his name.  Fast forward 13 years and he passed away.  His children tried to take my home.  6000 dollars later and a lawyer, that wont happen.  Get a Lawyer first!  Agree to everything from the start!  Put it in writing! 

We never go into a relationship thinking it will end.  We really dont think 20 years ahead as in our partner passing away leaving a mess......Get a Lawyer!

March 2011 FICO® ~ 595 TU, 605 EQ, 525 EX
Aug 2012 Lender pulls: 702 TU, 667 EQ, 660 EX

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+