cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanna know how I saved $700 without even trying?

tag
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Wanna know how I saved $700 without even trying?

Hey all.

Wanna know how I was able to save $700 without even trying?  Well, last Christmas, I bought my husband one of those coin jars at Macys. It automatically counts the money for you so you can watch it add up. Every day, when I'd clean out my purse or wash his clothes, we'd empty the change and deposit it in the jar. It became a habit.  A very good, good, habit. Now it's not even quite December, and we have $700 without even trying.  We agreed to put all our change into that ONE jar for the year.  Try it, you'll be amazed how much you can save.

I'm curious. How do you save money?  What are some of the easy ways (if there is such a thing) that you trick yourself into saving and not spending? 

All the best to everyone!

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Re: Wanna know how I saved $700 without even trying?

Opps. That first line should say $700, not $300! Smiley Very Happy

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734

Message 2 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@MissExcellentCredit wrote:

Opps. That first line should say $700, not $300! Smiley Very Happy

You can edit your own post if you'd like. To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu. . If you need any help with anything, let me know.

--MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator

Message 3 of 26
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Thanks! You are always so nice.

Message 4 of 26
casmith1980
Established Contributor

That's awesome Miss!  Looks like you actually got the present Smiley Wink

My husband and I each have a "jar" (mines actually a pink piggy and his is a Mason jar)...we like to compete with how much each of us can save.  He thinks I cheat because I put anything less than a $5 in my pig LOL

(I always win)

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 5 of 26
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Way to go!

Message 6 of 26
IOBA
Senior Contributor

We can take our loose change to the bank every few weeks.   Goes into a special account, then gets added to a CD (we have one that is specifically for loose change).

Congratulations on your savings!

Message 7 of 26
mgeorges
Valued Member

@MissExcellentCredit wrote:

Hey all.

Wanna know how I was able to save $700 without even trying?  Well, last Christmas, I bought my husband one of those coin jars at Macys. It automatically counts the money for you so you can watch it add up. Every day, when I'd clean out my purse or wash his clothes, we'd empty the change and deposit it in the jar. It became a habit.  A very good, good, habit. Now it's not even quite December, and we have $700 without even trying.  We agreed to put all our change into that ONE jar for the year.  Try it, you'll be amazed how much you can save.

I'm curious. How do you save money?  What are some of the easy ways (if there is such a thing) that you trick yourself into saving and not spending? 

All the best to everyone!

I have been doing that for the past couple of years and I have about half of a 5 gallon water tank filled. 

I also save the dollar coins and I have about $3000 worth from about 3 years. 

Message 8 of 26
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

My uncle used to save his change in a large barrel.  Unfortunately, the weight caused it to fall partway through the floor, and the change went to repairing the hole. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 9 of 26
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

My uncle used to save his change in a large barrel.  Unfortunately, the weight caused it to fall partway through the floor, and the change went to repairing the hole. 

Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.