Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wedding debt..

tag
Isaiah2990
Contributor

Re: Wedding debt..

I agree with you 100%..it should be the father of the bride's responsibility..not mines.

Starting Score: FAKO EQ 497 EX 516 TU 517 (4.28.12)
Current Score: FICO EQ 587 (9.29.13) TU (GECRB) 596 (2.19.13) EX (USAA) 482 (3.12.13)
Goal Score: 700 all across the board!
Message 11 of 75
drkaje
Senior Contributor

You're the one getting married!! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, without really knowing any details, I'd say the best thing you can do is talk about it with your GF. After all, this is a great chance to see how well the two of you communicate about these sorts of things.

@drkaje wrote:

You're the one getting married!! Smiley Happy

At the end of the day, +1

Message 13 of 75
Isaiah2990
Contributor

Me and her had the talk earlier..I explained that when we go into marriage that we will have other expenses to pay for (student loans, rent/mortgage, and utilities) and I told her I do not want to go into marriage paying off a loan..She says that since she is the first child and grand child her parents and parents are going to be more than willing to help pay for the wedding..she still said my contributions are still needed..she said she would want us to say money instead of take out loans.

Current Score: FICO EQ 587 (9.29.13) TU (GECRB) 596 (2.19.13) EX (USAA) 482 (3.12.13)
Message 14 of 75
FrugalRican
Blogger

The stories I could tell.

My best friend just got married and he was convinced that he was doing everything the right way. He limited the budget for the wedding and gave up one concession... the wedding dress. They live in Puerto Rico (where there are PLENTY of beautiful dresses being sold) and she decided she wanted to come to New York to buy a wedding dress (just so she could brag she had a NY wedding dress). The dress cost him over 2K, plus the plane trip, plus additional expenses... The "dress" ended up costing him almost everything he had saved on the actual wedding/reception.

I already told my girlfriend that we are going small, conservative, family-type wedding.

I know that the day is all about "her", but in the end, you also have to be financially responsible. The worst thing anyone could do is overextend themselves and start out a life together in debt just because you wanted her to be happy for one day. And like others have stated, spending on a wedding while counting on the "windfall" of wedding money is a dangerous way to think. You could spend 15K easily and only get back 5.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 15 of 75
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ FR,

Your buddy got played. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 75
Isaiah2990
Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

The stories I could tell.

My best friend just got married and he was convinced that he was doing everything the right way. He limited the budget for the wedding and gave up one concession... the wedding dress. They live in Puerto Rico (where there are PLENTY of beautiful dresses being sold) and she decided she wanted to come to New York to buy a wedding dress (just so she could brag she had a NY wedding dress). The dress cost him over 2K, plus the plane trip, plus additional expenses... The "dress" ended up costing him almost everything he had saved on the actual wedding/reception.

I already told my girlfriend that we are going small, conservative, family-type wedding.

I know that the day is all about "her", but in the end, you also have to be financially responsible. The worst thing anyone could do is overextend themselves and start out a life together in debt just because you wanted her to be happy for one day. And like others have stated, spending on a wedding while counting on the "windfall" of wedding money is a dangerous way to think. You could spend 15K easily and only get back 5.

I'm definitely not trying to be that guy..at least me and her had "the talk" before I even plan on proposing..I have to get my finances in order first.

Message 17 of 75
FrugalRican
Blogger

@drkaje wrote:

@ FR,

Your buddy got played. Smiley Happy

Yes, he did, and I told him so.

Even my DGF said: What the...

Because he was talking to us about he was being financially responsible, but we calculated the expenses with him and then it hit him...

The saddest thing was seeing his face once he realized what happened.

And then my DGF saw the wedding pictures. The dress was pretty bad. Thousands down the drain just so she could brag about a dress from NYC.

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 18 of 75
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Isaiah2990 wrote:

I'm definitely not trying to be that guy..at least me and her had "the talk" before I even plan on proposing..I have to get my finances in order first.

Stick to the "talk", is what I'm gonna say. You sound like you are trying to do the right thing, good luck to you!

Message 19 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently single but hoping to find a girl that shares my frugal ways. My view on cars is never buy new, and never take out an auto loan. Get a respectable used car for 7-8k or even less if possible, and throw in a repair or two as needed and you are good to go.

I have the same view on a wedding. Why spend yourself to death? Me personally I would be happy with just spending a few hundred dollars as necessary, get married in the church with a handful of family and friends, then have a family cookout afterward to celebrate the big day. No expensive receptions or events. A nice little ceremony and cookout with family and friends will make me, and hopefully her, happy. After all the people you are around is what makes the day special, not how much "bling" you have.

If you save as much as possible and spend as little as possible on the wedding, then you can have a nice dream honeymoon vacation. Personally my dream honeymoon is spending a week in the australian outback.

Message 20 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.