Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wedding debt..

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Wedding debt..

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same view on a wedding. Why spend yourself to death? Me personally I would be happy with just spending a few hundred dollars as necessary, get married in the church with a handful of family and friends, then have a family cookout afterward to celebrate the big day. No expensive receptions or events. A nice little ceremony and cookout with family and friends will make me, and hopefully her, happy. After all the people you are around is what makes the day special, not how much "bling" you have.

Good god, it's me, with another username!

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 21 of 75
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the same view on a wedding. Why spend yourself to death? Me personally I would be happy with just spending a few hundred dollars as necessary, get married in the church with a handful of family and friends, then have a family cookout afterward to celebrate the big day. No expensive receptions or events. A nice little ceremony and cookout with family and friends will make me, and hopefully her, happy. After all the people you are around is what makes the day special, not how much "bling" you have.

Good god, it's me, with another username!

You would have written "Justice of the peace and $5 all you can eat Chinese buffet", LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 75
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ir777,

WELL, what I think is that a wedding is a one moment in life that will never come in your life untill you planning otherwise.Smiley Tongue. But then again you need to keep in mind that you have a limit to your expense. I believe you should discuss with your gf and bring your expense to a limit were both of be happy...

Message 23 of 75
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ir777,

WELL, what I think is that a wedding is a one moment in life that will never come in your life untill you planning otherwise.Smiley Tongue. But then again you need to keep in mind that you have a limit to your expense. I believe you should discuss with your gf and bring your expense to a limit were both of be happy...

LOL!

A majority of people don't bother planning for life after their wedding date, LOL! Considering the divorce rate, people should put a little thought into that too.

If someone's actually got the money, and isn't already in a lot of debt, it's not a waste. If someone's broke and demanding/expecting a big, fairytale wedding their priorities aren't straight.

Message 24 of 75
Catacam
Frequent Contributor

This thread made me lol.... I'm sorry but a wedding is important and if the two people getting married can't agree to what they spend $500 or $500k, then they shouldn't get married.

We did Vegas with 24 friends, less than $500... Reception back home on the other hand was much much more. Receptions are what costs the money and for us, we didn't want a potluck, but we also budgeted for a year and didn't gain any additional debt, except for my ring... Beyond the wedding costs, consider what a diamond costs!!!

And if a person is too frugal in their ways (not not you frugal rican!!), you may stay single forever! Smiley LOL

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!

Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750

Message 25 of 75
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Catacam wrote:

This thread made me lol.... I'm sorry but a wedding is important and if the two people getting married can't agree to what they spend $500 or $500k, then they shouldn't get married.

We did Vegas with 24 friends, less than $500... Reception back home on the other hand was much much more. Receptions are what costs the money and for us, we didn't want a potluck, but we also budgeted for a year and didn't gain any additional debt, except for my ring... Beyond the wedding costs, consider what a diamond costs!!!

And if a person is too frugal in their ways (not not you frugal rican!!), you may stay single forever! Smiley LOL

It's not a matter of being frugal, LOL! It's being honest about what you can't actually afford.

Someone who wants more wedding than they can afford probably applies that same thought process to everything else. Next thing you know it's more house, car, kids, and everything else than you can afford. No thanks, LOL!

If someone's earned, and can afford it... have a wedding every week but don't accumulate three years worth of debt in one day to feel like a fairy princess.

Message 26 of 75
Catacam
Frequent Contributor

I had a fairy tale wedding in Vegas, the reception on the other hand was so dang stressful!! I didn't even get to eat the food or have a piece of cake because it was so hectic!!!  I would say I wouldn't do it again, but I probably would! lol... I wanted my dream to come true, and it did!

just married.jpg

Then what happened at the reception!!  zombie.jpg

This was us on halloween!! Talk about being frugal... I wore my wedding dress in Vegas, then for our reception, and again on Halloween! Smiley LOL

CLOSED ON OUR FIRST HOME MAY 30TH!!!

Starting Score: TU 589 EQ 526 EX603
Current Score: TU 635 EQ 603 EX ??
Goal Score: 750

Message 27 of 75
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

One thing I would point out is people shouldn't be so quick to pooh-pooh the idea of being married at the courthouse. It's nowhere near as unromantic and banal as most people would assume. Most courthouses actually have lovely little areas for wedding services and judges tend to really enjoy performing weddings.

Message 28 of 75
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Catacam - thanks for sharing your before and after wedding photos!  Smiley Wink

It's great that you re-used your dress for halloween.

Message 29 of 75
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I did a destination wedding to an all-inclusive resort in the Bahamas.   We found a good rate for 5 nights at a place that did the wedding ceremony for free - we went off-season.  We paid for the license but they provided a small bouquet of flowers, a bottle of champaigne and a small cake - it was just the two of us.  We had a reception for family and close friends when we got back at a fire hall that we got for free, with catering and cake done at a discount from someone we knew and did the decorations ourselves.  I bought a simple white wedding dress for less than $100 off a discount rack and the tux was rented.  All in all, we spent less than $3000 and were very happy with the outcome.  It is possible to have a nice simple wedding without having to spend a ton of money.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 30 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.