Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wedding debt..

tag
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Re: Wedding debt..

Thank God my wife's mother helped us pay for our wedding in cash.  She helped with the wedding and my parents gave us a nice check as a gift.

Message 61 of 75
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

I recently tied the knot and we planned about 14 months ahead of time. Planning is everything but for some reason i kept hearing suze orman voice telling me you cannot afford it. Denied.

Message 62 of 75
Croselx
Contributor

I am anti wedding (not anti marriage). I think you should make decisions based on priorities and believe that blowing out several thousands on a wedding just because 'it is only 1 day and probably once in a lifetime' is a terrible way to start your new life. Priorities should be (IMO): Stable Job/Financial stability>Good Car>House>everything else.

If you must spend on a special day, do so after all priorities are fulfilled/paid for and after a certain amount of time has passed such as 5,+ years. I don't get why people spend 15K+ on a wedding with someone they probably haven't even lived with! First get to know eachother, live together, build your lives together and THEN think of a 'wedding'. By this time you probably will think that you rather spend the $10K on something that will bring yourselves happiness (instead of the guests) such as a long vacation that can serve as a honeymoon or escapade from the daily grind/routine and bring you closer to your SO.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 63 of 75
heathuhhhhwebbbb
New Contributor

I"m currently planning my wedding right now.  So far, we've spent about $5,000 and that isn't including a lot of stuff.  HOWEVER, we are not charging anything on credit cards.  I work A LOT of overtime to get the money for the wedding, and so does he.  The ONLY thing we have on a credit card is my engagement ring.  If she wants a $10k wedding, she should find a way to come up with it, imo.  My hubby-to-be was happy with whatever I wanted, and he is willing to help, but I'm not putting the financial burden on him to make it happen and to ruin our financial situation in the future.

09/2013: TU FICO 692, EQ FICO 698, EX PLUS 709. No apps until December 2014!
Freedom: $1500 Cap1 Plat: $2000 Cap1 Cash: $1500 Barclays: $4000 Walmart: $2700 GE Luxury: $4800 Jared: $1500 Davids Bridal: $1500
Message 64 of 75
beb86
Valued Contributor

We had ours the old fashioned way where the brides parents pay for pretty much everything and grooms take care of tuxes and rehersal (We are veryyyy blessed, and the fact my wifes the baby of her family so that helps haha)

Message 65 of 75
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

cafeluna.jpg

My son and his wife, married April 22, 2012.  They had a small wedding, with 50 people.  I believe they spent about $12k
 They have a house, and paid for 75% of it themselves.

Message 66 of 75
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I meant that they already bought a house and paid for 75% of the wedding themselves.  Sheesh.

Message 67 of 75
ALLevesque
Established Member

12k is a LOT for a wedding with 50 guests. Holy crappsss!

We got married last september.  My step mom and dad paid for catering and my dress (about 4k total), and my husband's parents paid for photographer and sent money to help with other little things.  My mother did our flowers (we wanted wild flowers, so she grew everything, made centerpieces, bouquets and boutoniers)

We got our wedding done under $7k.  We had about 140 people. 

In the end we only paid about $1500-2k out of pocket after what our parents helped with.  We DIY'd just about everything.

We also bought our home about 2 months before the wedding.

Message 68 of 75
Isaiah2990
Contributor

Thanks for the responses guys.. At least I know I'm not alone lol.. Me and my gf are still dating its been a little over a year now, we are not in a rush for marriage..

Starting Score: FAKO EQ 497 EX 516 TU 517 (4.28.12)
Current Score: FICO EQ 587 (9.29.13) TU (GECRB) 596 (2.19.13) EX (USAA) 482 (3.12.13)
Goal Score: 700 all across the board!
Message 69 of 75
anackerman
Established Member

Starting Score: EQ 511 (1/20/13)
Current Score: EQ 633
Goal Score: 680
Message 70 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.