cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When the person you're dating is a credit nightmare?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When the person you're dating is a credit nightmare?

Lightntheglass - You are responsible for you. As to getting another person to change is really up to them. You have a solid track record on your partner. Unless "he" chooses to change you can not change him. Your choice is to live with it or make the hard choices such as move on. Don't be delusional about him changing unless he wants to. Hard to say it but you can't change him. Your choice get him to see the need or ??? Move on. Like one of the other posters mentioned it is like a gambling or chemical use addiction. Only the person can change it. Sorry but those are the hard facts. Speak with experience, myself.

Message 51 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

dont walk Run away

Message 52 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

RUN!!!!!

Message 53 of 68
Drash
Valued Member

smart move ,you nver knew how credit affects your life, you do not wanna end up in the ghetto  neighborhood raising below starndard kids who can not even spell their last name.

drash
Message 54 of 68
Drash
Valued Member

Im sorry to hear that , ihope you are doing okey , make sure you are checking your credit often because the people who you think loves you are the most evil ,they cry  if you dont put them on your credit and when you do they go crazy on spending.

drash
Message 55 of 68
Drash
Valued Member

well said the loosers  blame everyone for their shortcomings,keep on  and you will succeed!

drash
Message 56 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

wow, try talking some sense into your sig other if not walk out!

Message 57 of 68
Drash
Valued Member

He might look like Brad PItt  but do not be fooled ,an idiot is an idiot, they laugh at you when you are agonising about your credit score because theywant  to be in the same boat. i will take un ugly partner with a wooded   prosthesis  fake leg  any time.

drash
Message 58 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Man did I have crap credit for a long time, still not the best sitting between 660 to 680 (discover and barcaly reports).

The lady in my life has phenominal credit and always has.  Has 8000 credit cards all with a zero balance every month, when we checked her credit not a single late payment on a single card.  I looked, twice.

We have been together for 3 years now and in that time I have had poor credit, I skirted the issue for 2 years.  I never snuck around with anything that was hers (credit cards) or tried anything sneaky.  I just had to pay cash for everything we did on the spot or use a debit card.  This becomes difficult when you want to do things with your SO like take a road trip, fly somewhere, or book a B&B.  Life in this day and age is just harder without credit, I was fortunate enough for a brief stint to get some decent marks for a car loan and have a low payment with a decent interest rate at that time (7%).  Now I refied with my credit union for a low rate of 2.99%.

What I did is I realized how hard life is without a simple credit card and not being able to use the value of my salary.  I do not make a ton of money but I am not poor either but I was alway struggling with my so called system to get out of any small debt ($500 or less).  I do not have any major debt in my name or any small debt any more to my name I never had debt.  Just make crappy chocies and couldn't pay a $500 bill if it came up.

What I am getting at is she never asked me to change, I did on my own.  I saw how **bleep** our future will be if I stay the way I am.  And she works too hard and is too responsible to be stuck with that.  She was kind enough to put me as a AU on her oldest biggest limit card.  She said I could use the card to which I flat out said no, I put it in her SD.

So what I am telling the OP and the others is.  Sometimes a spark will happen inside of a person to have them change be it finances or anything else.  At the same time you need to protect yourself to know what's best for you and only you.  Do not assume a person will change, assumption is the mother of all evil, it will ruin you.  Relationships are more like a business than anything else, you have to protect your interests.  

What I will say on my current credit journey is life is so much easier now.  My money is working for me in the form on cashback cards.  We just took a road trip and the SM 5% on gas is a real nice perk to have (we maxed the 250 though).  While away discover gave me 5% back on resturants we ate at.  Target gave me 5% off all my purchase for food for the road trip along with SM.  All these things I would have paid cash for and essentially overpaid for now my money is coming back to me.  Now I am enjoying these discounts.

I realize this is a long post and probably a bit offtopic.

Message 59 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also was in the same situation but i was the one with the bad credit. Never paying my CC bills,late on my car quite a few times, just plain ol irresposible. Everytime my GF (WIFE NOW) would mention finances i would change the subject because i did not want her to know how bad  and irresposible i had been with my credit. When she found out it made our relationship very strained and would turn into arguements. Something finally clicked in my head and i realized that my situation had to get corrected in order to  get married,start family,buy a  home,have kids. This would totally screw everything up unless (I) did something about it! It was a turning point in my life and i thank my WIFE for pushing me and helping me along the way to financial freedom! 

Fast forward a few years later and boy it feels good to be financially secure, got married,  had my first baby,paid off all debt, purchased my first home last year ,brand new car, and was able to get credit cards again but being very responsible and taking care of my credit!! That person has to want to change for themselves and for the well being of your future together. its really hard when you love that person and don't want to leave the realtionship because of that, sometimes it is best to just leave and see how things turn out..but for me, im really glad that my WIFE stuck it out with me and helped me instead of running.

Wish you the best in whatever descion you've madeSmiley Wink

Message 60 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.