Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife has no desire to ask for a discover cli

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife has no desire to ask for a discover cli

My wife has zero inquiries, 15 years AAOA and not a single blemish ever On her credit. Has a mortgage, car payment salary over 80k and only has 2 cards a chase card which was her college football team that I guess chase stopped doing business with because they sent her a freedom replacement a few months ago 7k limit and a discover card 9k limit which was her initial SL 9 yrs ago when she got it, I suggested let's call for a soft pull cli I'm sure she would get 10k or more if she wanted it but she has no desire she says I'll never need that much which is true but I think it would be fun just to have. I almost wanna grab the card and do it myself any thoughts ?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wife has no desire to ask for a discover cli

If she doesn't need it and doesn't want it, I'd let it be.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

As painful as it is, you gotta respect the woman's wants. Leave it.Smiley Frustrated

Being as I may, I would suggest she pull up her credit scores and see what happens.  Could open up a discussion on the topic of credit and why credit limits are important to YOU.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh we know her scores the fico on her discover bill says 830.  Used to say 837 but she ran up 2k Xmas shopping that's how this whole thing started she's like why did it go down so much to which I said your using 20+ % of ur limit on this card this bill

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh we know her scores the fico on her discover bill says 830.  Used to say 837 but she ran up 2k Xmas shopping that's how this whole thing started she's like why did it go down so much to which I said your using 20+ % of ur limit on this card this bill

Steve! That's your Segway into opening up discussion on your feelings about CLI and how you feel that a CLI for her would be beneficial IF she'd like to think about it! Then wait.

hell, if you have to, get a PowerPoint presentation with strawberries and chocolate ready, but that's your go to cue to open up the floor for discussion. 

"Love of my life, there is no doubt that you are financially savvy, and I'm a lucky man to be with such a woman.  If you notice, while your score is in the 1%, it does take a massive drop after spending. This is because while we both know you'll pay the bill on time being responsible as you are, the momentary shift of high Utlization causes a drop. But you know what? That can be avoided without any damage to your pristine report. You are in a place where you can request a CLI. Just think about it. Here's some sites (give Intel as to why CLI UTL is important to you) and I want you to at least consider it. This is important to me and I want to share this with you." Blah blah you're amazing blah blah here's some chocolate. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife was the same way. She was happy with her credit score. Got the best rates at a 760. She had one CC only at the time.
I started rebuilding my credit. We started off with the Amex as an AU. 10k. And I got a couple little ones myself.
Then she started seeing my scores go up, my CLI going up. She was still reluctant on doing CLI. Then she started saying "your going to have more credit than me" your credit score is going to be better than mine. Etc. so we decided to try and get hers over 800. I read on here about hitting the LUV button. So we were sitting there and I logged into her Amex and I ask what she wants for a CLI. she said 10k was already to much. Im like 20k sounds better. Typed it in. Approved 20k. Her score jumped from a 760 to a 790 the next month.
So now she's digging it as we're both try to get past the 800 mark. She of course will beat me, unless I toss in a 30 day late on her. Lmao. 😂😂😂😂 just kidding!!!
We're just playing the credit game. It keeps it fun while we are both gardening now and letting these new cards grow.
She has a considerable more amount of credit avalible to her now. Before she had just a mere 2500$ CC and a GW 1600$ store card.
Now she has 93k in revoking credit. UTI is 2%.
I'm close to the same with a UTI of 2%
It's actually nice to have credit. Just can't abuse it.
Now between the 2 of us we have a deck of cards. Lol
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya I think a nice dinner this weekend and I can talk her into it the funny thing is I'm rebuilding scores are 710-715 and my discover it should be in the mailbox today or tomm with a 10k limit. I was just thinking in August 2014 I was psyched to get a cap1 qs1 for 300 bucks. Things can change quickly once stuff starts aging off In the credit game. 

Message 7 of 17
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Hopefully once it sinks in that her spending wouldn't have had a big an effect if her CL had been higher, she'll be more open to CLI. What a perfect opening for you to discuss this without it being you bringing it up out of the blue!

Message 8 of 17
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Chances are there are far more enjoyable ways to pass the time with one's wife, lol.

Message 9 of 17
aav
Established Contributor

My husband is the same way. Sometimes he'll let me hit the discover luv button if mine won't give. He knows it makes me smile. But mostly hel's content with his limit. He's at 11.2k and I'm at 19.1. I started with 7.5k ant 2 years ago. Gotta love the gravy train. Hope they push me over 20 this year but idk. Have several cards hovering at 20
EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.