cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you add your sibling as an authorized user?

tag
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: Would you add your sibling as an authorized user?

@Pookubbq wrote:

Hey guys, Im currently 23, and my sister is 17. She is going to college next year, and she wanted me to add her as an authorized user on my card.  I have serveral cards with a credit limit totaling 21k ish. Should I add her, or should she apply for credit herself next year? 

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks!

No to AU.

Provide advice and coaching but she should establish her own credit. Getting there "on your own" is good for character building and self esteen.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 21 of 30
erdoganog
Valued Member

Yes and NO

Yes add and NO do not give her the "card"  as to what some people might say "authorized user cards don't help CR" is somewhat not true

My father did this to me when i was 19 3 months later i applied got 2 CC

So yes add and no don't let her use wait few months let her apply on her own

Began 8/2015
Goal 10/2016 Garden

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@erdoganog wrote:

Yes and NO

Yes add and NO do not give her the "card"  as to what some people might say "authorized user cards don't help CR" is somewhat not true

My father did this to me when i was 19 3 months later i applied got 2 CC

So yes add and no don't let her use wait few months let her apply on her own

FICO has recently changed the way (or even whether) AU gives an assist, shortly after being burned by some Florida guy who actually bought AUs for thousands of dollars from strangers, then bragged about it. When it made local and national TV news, FICO revamped it overnight. No one knows the new algorithms now. (Spouses living at the same address, with same or similar surnames seem the most secure bet.) So when you read folks saying, "AU may/may not help", they're not making it up.

But what is still true so far is, a 17/18 year old getting her own credit card with no job or income now will leave Sis in the awkward position of letting her sink or swim.

Your Dad was nice. Times have changed.

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heck no. My brother is very irresponsible. The only person I would add is my spouse.

Message 24 of 30
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

I would to give her the boost but shred the cards as soon as they arrive to prevent you paying for her spending. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did this with my mom , she is au in two of my cards but she only has one and she ask me before using it.

I thought about adding my older.sister and not giving her a card , but I know it was going to be an argument so I didn't add her.  She has proven not be responsible , so why gamble with my future.  Do you trust a irresponsible 17 year old with your future?

Message 26 of 30
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Not only would I add my sister, but I have. We are members of the same Credit Union, and I was not ever using that cc for that account. She had an IRS bill that was on payments. I suggested I add her as an AU on my cc and she make the payments. She is the only one using that card and she is the only one paying the payments, but I do moniter it. Me and my sister have a special relationship though, and she could have anything I own, all she need do is ask!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I would!

Message 28 of 30
greent
Frequent Contributor

I added my sister who ha no credit history. She already received a cc app in the mail. I plan to remove him once she has a year of payments reporting.

Message 29 of 30
greent
Frequent Contributor

Forgot to mention. I didnt issue a card to her. Cap One asks if you want a card for them. I said no. 

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.