Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hello fellow friends

tag
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Re: hello fellow friends

@Anonymous wrote:
I feel as if you all have slight horror stories. But the scenario is, I am the account holder I have the credit and the income for anything we desire. I'm 24 I can't expect someone of her age to be to the same as far as finances seeing as how no one in her past has cared about it. She got her job when she met me, I sold her the car she drives, she is very eager to understand the importance of it like I do. & seeing as how she lives here bk's and all of that nonsense is not an option because I can control the outcome of my finances and future. I understand a lot of people should be worried but as quick as I added her I can also block her off if for some magical reason she decided to be economically insecure. That's when she would be removed as an unauthorized user

It's your decision, after all, but I would not get tangled up in anyone else's credit unless they have a legal relationship with me.  If people need financial help, I give them cash -- I certainly don't tie them to my credit.  All that can happen with cash is I lose it, but credit issues take (a long) time to go away.  You sound like you have the money.  Why not give her the $2000 to pay off the medical bill and do a pay-for-delete?  (You could arrange for her to pay you back in installments.)  That would improve her credit significantly.  This way you would not need to babysit her finances. 

On the flip side, I certainly wouldn't want to be completely beholden to anyone.  It feels wrong that a person can pull the rug out at any moment.  (There's another thread here of a guy who gave his girlfriend his credit card and then on a whim wanted his card back.)  It seems like your girlfriend is dependent on you for housing, did you get her her job as well?  And now you're resuscitating her credit -- that's a lot of control over someone.  You might be the nicest guy in the world, but....

Message 11 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nicest girl in the world. I tried the pay for delete but apparently they don't do "pay for deletes". Besides the chances of her using up the credit card(which she won't seeing as how she knows how serious I am about my credit and she hasn't even taken the card out of the envelope), nothing on her credit can effect me just cause she is an AU on one card for a couple months right?
I didn't get her her job she got it herself. Things that aren't worked for aren't kept.
Message 12 of 49
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Nicest girl in the world. I tried the pay for delete but apparently they don't do "pay for deletes". Besides the chances of her using up the credit card(which she won't seeing as how she knows how serious I am about my credit and she hasn't even taken the card out of the envelope), nothing on her credit can effect me just cause she is an AU on one card for a couple months right?
I didn't get her her job she got it herself. Things that aren't worked for aren't kept.

If they won't do a pay for delete, pay it anyway and google the HIPAA removal method for that medical collection (we can't discuss the HIPAA method here though). 

The only effect of her being an AU would be her running up the card and you having to pay it back. But it seems like you trust her so maybe that's not an issue. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 13 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never heard of that but I'll look into it thank you. Might be of help for more people than just her
Message 14 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ever live with a roommate?  Think of it this way, except this roommate is hot and you wanna do things to them.

List all household bills.  List each other's budget. Come to a compromise on who pays what and when. 

Nice to to offer the AU option. I'm a tough love person and my Sig O may have an Amex Black, but Odin damn them all, I want my own. He's supportive of my rebuild and I refuse to AU. Think what you may.

Message 15 of 49
jotucker99

Why in the world would anyone MERGE finances with someone they aren't married to? That's a very bad idea, never do that OP.

- Total Line Of Credit Availability: $161,000 (across 19 cards)

- FICO and other Score Ranges: 715 - 750
Message 16 of 49
CreekNative

Her credit will buold in time; for now, keep all finances separate. I was far under water due a huge hospital bill. Over time, I had a secured credit card to start with credit cards again; a year later, the card became unsecured. I obtained more cards. Now, I am a homeowner, and I recently was approved for a car loan. Start her with a secured card, and work from there.

Message 17 of 49
1-IS-ENOUGH
New Visitor

Love and Optimism can make us do crazy things.  I strongly suggest that you rescind on one of the credit cards you offered your girlfriend and allocate only (1) credit card to her as an authorize user.  That way she is bound to exercise financial restraint.   You must see the evidence that your girlfriend has the ability to purchase wisely and few.  You must see the evidence that she has consitently paid all purchases on time and in fulll; not just the minimum requirement, that's a no-no..   I truly think you have over-extended yourself to someone who has historically proven that she is not savvy with money and credit.  Be WISE and look at this situation logically.  You can live with her and love her without potentially ruining your own credit.  Go slow and go lightly.   All the best ~ Young Grandma Who Knows Better

Message 18 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update~ to all my caring fico fam.

-we broke up
-she maxed out my card
-it is literally the end of the world

Just kidden,
However this really is an update, I added my gf as an authorized user on my capital one account which is 5 years old. I understand what you guys suggested and your opinions however me and all of you are coming from two different points I'm not blind in love and so forth I tend not to extend to much of my efforts financially & I have pride problems which is why I don't allow spouses to help with my finances because I fear the day someone says why are u leaving me I helped you?!? Nope, can't do it. I'll get there tho. Anyways, so I gave her the card, not knowing what to do with it and paranoid to use "my money" I forced her to put gas in her car once. She used it that time only since my post it was like pulling teeth to tell her to buy a soda or lunch. Anyways of course as it posted to her credit her score went up. In the 600's to be fako exact it went up 140 points fico 620 so I helped her apply for a capital one quicksilver ( where I started) that is currently in the mail to her. Before I could even speak for myself, her card was put into my wallet without my knowledge and she chooses to wait on her own. With her 300sl 😊 id probably be prouder if I didn't add her as an AU but I am proud that she has a start.

Good story?
Message 19 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

The word "Girl Friend" really mean she's a friend.  You only merge finances if you're married, not friend.  If you really want to help her, you can add her as a authorized user, but shred the card as it arrived aka "piggy back ride" with your good/great credit.  But never ever let her ruin your credit because it will take years to fix one mistake.  About finance and bills, I think I seen enough answers already so i'm not going to cover that.

Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.