Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

splitting rent

tag
frankietown
Established Member

splitting rent

my gf and i are moving in together. how should we split rent? is 50-50 fair if i make wayyyy more than her? i mean i want to be fair. shes looking for a new job that should pay more. right now she makes like $1500 a month. we are targetting an apt more or less ~1400 max. so lets say we find a 1400 apt, would it be fair to make her use up half of her months pay just for rent?

we have been together 3.5 years. when we first moved in together, she paid more than me monthly cause i couldn't afford to. she drove everywhere cause i had no car. i guess i feel an obligation to return back to her the kindness she showed me when i was broke and jobless. but now that i am making a lot of money with my awesome programming job, i want to give back. but i want it to be fair. so any thoughts? would rent split be fair adjusted on what we make?

AMEX BCE: $22000 | nov 2013 ### DISCOVER IT: $6500 | nov 2013
CHASE FREEDOM: $7000 | nov 2013 ### CHASE CSP: $7500 | nov 2013
us bank college: $1000 | feb 2013 ### boa partial secured: $5000 | april 2013
GARDEN TILL: 11/2013 - 3/2015 CAUSE I DONT NEED ANYTHING!
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: splitting rent

I've had this work well: add up what you both make, and figure out what percentage each of you brings to the table. Then use that to split the rent.

Example: you make $5k/month. She makes $2k/month. Total is $7k, with you bringin' in roughly 70% and her bringing in 30%. (This is rounded for ease in understanding, I know.) So you pay 70% of whatever the rent is, and she pays 30%. For a $1400 apartment it would be $980 you and $420 for her.

Message 2 of 22
aurelie00
Regular Contributor

My bf and I split everything down the middle..., rent, groceries, utilities.  The only thing we keep separeate is our own student loans, credit cards, etc.  It keeps things simple and lessens the "You can pay for this, because I paid for that" tensions. 

However, with that in mind, our salaries are comparable.  I would suggest what InvincibleSummer said and calculate %.

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 22
Peterson

According to me, you should make fair because your gf have not any job when she got the job than 50-50 is better. 

Message 4 of 22
CAnNY
Frequent Contributor

In my household I make like twice what my other half makes. For rent I pay a little more. I pay $600 and they are left to pay $300.

Starting Score: TU 489 EQ 561 EX unknown (2/24/2013)
Current Score: Lender Pull (11/15/13) EQ 702, TU 679, EX 684
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 22
DaBears
Senior Contributor

After reading these posts, I'm making my wife sleep at her mothers for the rest of the work week Smiley LOL

Community Leader, 

DaBears

P.S. I hope you all are enjoying myFICO forums! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 22
Startome
Regular Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

After reading these posts, I'm making my wife sleep at her mothers for the rest of the work week Smiley LOL

Community Leader, 

DaBears

P.S. I hope you all are enjoying myFICO forums! Smiley Happy

Shame on you. LOL. Smiley Happy

My girlfriend and I have this planned out for when we do move, as she will be in college not working at all. She has a savings, and plans to use it to cover most of our rent for our two year stay out of state. I will be working to cover everything else. Food, utilities, car maintenance, medical costs, etc. Honestly, it works for me. It's a lot cheaper that way for me than living by myself, (rent paid, whoop!) and cheaper for her than living by herself (All she has to worry about is rent, nice!). So even if I didn't love her to death, it'd be a great set-up for us both, and we're both pretty happy with our plans.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 7 of 22
Seb1010
New Contributor

50/50 is not fair.  She didnt make you pay 50% when you couldnt pull your own weight.

Message 8 of 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@frankietown wrote:

my gf and i are moving in together. how should we split rent? is 50-50 fair if i make wayyyy more than her? i mean i want to be fair. shes looking for a new job that should pay more. right now she makes like $1500 a month. we are targetting an apt more or less ~1400 max. so lets say we find a 1400 apt, would it be fair to make her use up half of her months pay just for rent?

we have been together 3.5 years. when we first moved in together, she paid more than me monthly cause i couldn't afford to. she drove everywhere cause i had no car. i guess i feel an obligation to return back to her the kindness she showed me when i was broke and jobless. but now that i am making a lot of money with my awesome programming job, i want to give back. but i want it to be fair. so any thoughts? would rent split be fair adjusted on what we make?

I think you answered your own question.    Why wouldn't it be fair now when it was when you didn't work?

Message 9 of 22
Legen_dary
Frequent Contributor

For your situation, I would definitely say scale the rent to income, especially since she contributed more when you weren't working.

Personally, my gf and I split out combined expenses (rent, utilities, food, entertainment, etc) 50:50, though that puts some strain on me since she has higher salary and much bigger bank account. But I guess I'm a traditionalist (or sexist Cat Sad) in that I couldn't live it down if it felt like she was supporting me.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.