Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much do you have saved?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: how much do you have saved?

@SantaMar wrote:

we all use credit to our advantage, but what do you have liquid?

The sale of my house closed just days ago, which means I have never been as liquid as I am now. Does that count? (I am storing the money in an American Express Bank High-Yield Savings Account by the way.)

Message 31 of 53
ptilda
Established Contributor

Age 38 and just starting over after years of school (still working on my graduate degree) and a divorce where I thought I'd never see a credit score as high as 400 again!

Now in a more-or-less stable job with the goal of a 6% raise by the end of the year (pretty much qualifying already, so I can plan on it), and a promo by this time next year.

I have a high-yield savings act at Barclays where I'm auto-depositing every 2 weeks. That is far below my 3-6 month living expenses, but at least I'm starting! It should be at $1k in the next few months... yeah, I know...

I also have been puting a few dollars into short and long-term CDs at Barclays and my CU every two weeks or so, alternating between short and long so they'll start maturing consistently in a few years. First ones will mature in December of this year. That comes to about $500.

I have almost $5k spread between my ROTH IRA, 401K, and SPO, and that's all from within about 7 months.

I have a ton of student loans (in deferment and interest not being charged yet, so I'm praying I'll be in a better spot once they come due). Own my car free & clear.

Hubby is joining me in the next few months (prayerfully) from Haiti (where he's from), and will start working (fingers crossed) to contribute additional. We plan on starting our own business in the next 2-3 years, including purchasing the property.

Retirement plan is in Haiti where the cost of living is much lower, so even with a late start, we're not going to be in horrible shape if everything keeps up as is.

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 32 of 53
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Income: $70-80k

Checking/Savings: $15-20k

401K: between $130 - 160k

I think I am a pretty big spender and definitely can use the extra cash in the bank.

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 33 of 53
CharlieP

Stocks and bonds definitely count towards savings. If you're putting aside money at 0.95% (the highest rate I've seen lately, from Synchrony Bank) you're losing out after taxes and inflation. So called "risk-free" investments are very risky in that you're guaranteed not to keep up with inflation and taxes.

Message 34 of 53
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

Barclays Savings also rewards .95%

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 35 of 53
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

This might come off the wrong way, but I'm always amazed at how many 20-something there are with $50K/year+ jobs and tens of thousands saved up in retirement accounts. I'd be curious as to where some of you are living and what you do for a living. Because God knows those jobs don't exist in Florida Smiley Sad

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 36 of 53
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

This might come off the wrong way, but I'm always amazed at how many 20-something there are with $50K/year+ jobs and tens of thousands saved up in retirement accounts. I'd be curious as to where some of you are living and what you do for a living. Because God knows those jobs don't exist in Florida Smiley Sad

Maybe they aren't married to someone who loves to shop, lol. Anyway, a 50K income is a 50K income; what might be different is something like cost of living in the given area or whether the company matches your 401k contribution, I would imagine.

Message 37 of 53
Florida1990
Frequent Contributor

I have $5.00 lmao saved college student and poor lol

Pre-CH7 Scores- TU 584 EX 540 EQ 581
Post-CH7 Scores- TU 656 EX 630 EQ 670

Navy Fed Cash Rewards-$4,500, Credit One MC $500, Credit One VS $700 Ollo Platinum MC $900, Avant MC $1,000 Primor Secured Vs. $200, Wayfair $750, Eddie, Jcrew, Boscov $250-$300.
Message 38 of 53
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

Maybe they aren't married to someone who loves to shop, lol. Anyway, a 50K income is a 50K income; what might be different is something like cost of living in the given area or whether the company matches your 401k contribution, I would imagine.

While that may be true, it's still mildly depressing to think about lol.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 39 of 53
Cinn

20-somethings with large incomes tend to be in medical, engineering, tech, finance, and so on.

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.