Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15 Ridiculously Hard Job Interview Questions

tag
veracious
Established Contributor

15 Ridiculously Hard Job Interview Questions

As tough as the job market has been in 2010, many top-flight employers aren't trying to make the interview process any easier. With the jobless claims at their lowest level in more than two years, job seekers, encouraged by the prospect of an improving economy, are dusting off their interviewing skills for the new year.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/30/job-interview-questions_n_802658.html?ref=goldman-sachs#s21...

If you know the correct answers,  shouldn't you be  earning  $100K ?  Smiley Surprised

8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 15 Ridiculously Hard Job Interview Questions

I actually ask a similar question to this one in my interviews: “Why do you think only a small percentage of the population makes over $150K?”. I'll then follow up with "Where do you see yourself in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?". I want to know how they view themselves and if they would rather be mediocre or have the guts to excel.

Message 2 of 9
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@veracious wrote:

As tough as the job market has been in 2010, many top-flight employers aren't trying to make the interview process any easier. With the jobless claims at their lowest level in more than two years, job seekers, encouraged by the prospect of an improving economy, are dusting off their interviewing skills for the new year.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/30/job-interview-questions_n_802658.html?ref=goldman-sachs#s21...

If you know the correct answers,  shouldn't you be  earning  $100K ?  Smiley Surprised

I know most of them, and I am!

My favorite is the Apples / Oranges question, but my real favorite is this (we used to ask this at Microsoft):

You are in a room with 3 standard light switches labled A, B and C.  Down a hall there is another room that you cannot see with 3 standard light bulbs in it labeled 1, 2 and 3.  Each switch in your room controls one and only one light bulb in the other room. Arrange the light switches in such a manner that by walking down the hall and into the other room ONCE and ONLY ONCE you will know which switch belongs to each bulb.

Cheers,

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 3 of 9
morganirish
Regular Contributor

I work in the Human Services field and I can't imagine being asked any of those questions in my line of work.   For the most part- people in this field who are making over 100,000 a year are making policies that make my job harder.  

Message 4 of 9
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

I actually ask a similar question to this one in my interviews: “Why do you think only a small percentage of the population makes over $150K?”. I'll then follow up with "Where do you see yourself in 3 years? 5 years? 10 years?". I want to know how they view themselves and if they would rather be mediocre or have the guts to excel.

Because only a small percentage of the jobs PAY over $150K. Smiley Wink

I am underpaid. I can answer most of those interview questions.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 5 of 9
FrugalRican
Blogger

@llecs wrote:

"Hey, this is McDonalds, I just want to flip a burger or two in between a free meal, man. Stop asking me these questions."

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 6 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

A few years ago I helped DW fill out a Walmart application.  They were the worst questions I have ever seen on any job application.  She didn't get the job.  We had no clue on how to answer many of the questions.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 9
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@SoulMaster wrote:

@veracious wrote:

I know most of them, and I am!

My favorite is the Apples / Oranges question, but my real favorite is this (we used to ask this at Microsoft):

You are in a room with 3 standard light switches labled A, B and C.  Down a hall there is another room that you cannot see with 3 standard light bulbs in it labeled 1, 2 and 3.  Each switch in your room controls one and only one light bulb in the other room. Arrange the light switches in such a manner that by walking down the hall and into the other room ONCE and ONLY ONCE you will know which switch belongs to each bulb.

Cheers,

-SM

That's one of my favorites too.  

Message 8 of 9
veracious
Established Contributor

How come nobody has offered an answer to these questions?

Everybody likes this one or that one, or , knows an example used by their firms.Smiley Sad

Still no answers, even from those who earns the income these questions are targeted to.

Something is  fishy , if you ask me! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

j/k

Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.