Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 Tax Return/Form 8863 Question

tag
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

2012 Tax Return/Form 8863 Question

Form 8863 (The specific higher education credits include the American Opportunity Tax Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit), anyone filed this credit before?

Should I have submitted my receipts too? This is my first year of having a child in college (and I foot the bill out of pocket waiting on Financial Aid), 

These returns are being delayed until mid-Feb, should I just wait it out?  Or submit my receipts? Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: 2012 Tax Return/Form 8863 Question

There are a series of questions that should be asked/answered before you can take the credit.   When I talked to the IRS agent, she went through and asked me...

* child us citiizen

* parent us citizen

* any criminal charges

* attending a post secondary [high school] school

* school is accredited

* school eligibale for US governement financial aid

For us, all of the answers were yes except for the last one.  His school - being overseas - is not eligable for US governement issued financial aid.  (There might be other questions asked...)

Even though I am paying out of pocket for my son to attend university, "abroad", I can't claim a penny of it on my taxes.  Smiley Sad

I'd wait until you can file your taxes, then inclue the form, if it's better financially for you to claim the credit.  You do not need to include the receipts.   Make sure you are claiming only what is allowed under this credit.

Message 2 of 4
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

I have already filed, just got a notice from Turbo Tax that any returns including that form are delayed processing until mid-Feb, didn't know if I missed a step. I do meet all of the qualifications though yay!

Message 3 of 4
Leadberry
Established Contributor

I've claimed the American Opportunity credit the past two or three years now.  Never bothered with receipts.  Put the numbers in the boxes and send the thing in.  No questions asked.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.