cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

220 cardholder Stephen Liao + Tai Lopez REAL?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

220 cardholder Stephen Liao + Tai Lopez REAL?

All over my YouTube I see ads and clips of this 20 year old kid named Stephen Liao on social media with Tai Lopez talking about in one year he obtained over 200 credit cards and over a million rewards points with his credit hacking secrets.

Is this even FICO possible, especially at the age of 20 or early 20s? Should we be entertaining this?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: 220 cardholder Stephen Liao + Tai Lopez REAL?

Wow.  IMHO so many CC's overflowed the FICO score formula so that is how he was able to do it. 

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
All over my YouTube I see ads and clips of this 20 year old kid named Stephen Liao on social media with Tai Lopez talking about in one year he obtained over 200 credit cards and over a million rewards points with his credit hacking secrets.

Is this even FICO possible, especially at the age of 20 or early 20s? Should we be entertaining this?

It’s possible with a really strong profile. I think every couple months he adds a card or two. It’s not normal. But possible for some. Churners end up having a lot of cards thru a few years. Now whether most people should emulate this, my opinion is no. Eventually you have so much credit one can get maxed in exposure to banks. People in here sometimes get eight cards a month. Not my recommendation but people can and do do it.

Message 3 of 5
trusty
Frequent Contributor

@marty56wrote:

Wow.  IMHO so many CC's overflowed the FICO score formula so that is how he was able to do it. 

I agree with this. After so many applications, your inquiries fail to compute... a secret that has been known to the credit gaming community for decades, now.

I would suspect that a similar redundancy occurs with the overall number of tradelines on a given credit file.

The big three credit bureaus designed their systems to handle millions of people, that typically have 2 major credit card accounts, and perhaps a handful of retail store accounts. So, they didn't plan on gamers accumulating insane amounts of credit; certainly not versus modest income.

Credit scoring also reportedly breaks somewhere after 50k on a single credit line. I'm not sure what it is, but there are other users here that have high limits, and have reported their utilization disappearing entirely, after a certain upper limit.

From a financial soundness standpoint; acquiring credit limits that are several multiples of your annual income... is quite risky, in terms of potential for total default. I would say that credit reports are probably somewhat deficient in handling the scoring of high limits. The failure is the simple fact that credit scores don't factor in the most important basis for repayment - income.

So, if you have high income, than it's fine to have high limits.

If you have low or modest income... than, aquiring lots of credit is nothing more than an accident waiting to happen.

Liao most likely came from money, or at least his parents went to ivy league schools, and acquired a good deal of rep with large banks. The kid was probably put on many seasoned accounts - another credit secret; and thus, benefited immensely from the history.

After that, he probably used a few techniques that take advantage of slightly delayed credit reporting systems, and just snowballed the rest, from there.

Message 4 of 5
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Anything is possible, but not always likely to happen.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.