Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4:45am Citi Prestige Story

tag
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Re: 4:45am Citi Prestige Story

I definitely won't be one of those chastising the OP. Having worked in retail for 7 years during high school and college, I feel comfortable saying that this employee is in need of some training or refreshing on how to operate the EFT terminal, as well as how to handle non-routine situations. The location of the strip is irrelevant in this situation because her job is to collect payment, which she didn't do. Should the OP have jumped out of his or her car and processed the payment themself in the restaurant? Clearly a lack of training, and also an opportunity for their worker to learn that situations aren't going to be the same every time.  

The last thing you ever do as a cashier or CSR is blame the customer or their methods of payment. Checks were a very popular form of payment where I worked, and you would never say that the customer is presenting a bad check, or that they have no funds in their account. It's the same situation here, and it's bad business. There is absolutely nothing wrong with contacting the manager either. That is what they are there for, to take corrective measures to fix the situation.

Message 31 of 43
ray8806
Regular Contributor

I'm not quite sure why everyone seems to be bothering the OP about the incident. The OP just wanted to share an experience, with even a little comedic effect. But some responses have been rude at best.

Enjoy the OP's post and move on. No need to criticize the OPs actions or lack thereof.
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 32 of 43
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

yfan wrote:

longtime_lurker wrote:

If you want to accuse me of assuming things, fine. I'll accept that. It's clear that I have let my frustrations into this argument. 

You have also assumed things.

I'm sure I assume lots of things, but in this particular thread I don't think I made any assumptions on the core matter. Please correct me if I have.

"(such as she worked all night and was tired, she didn't understand your instructions, and many other explanations" - these are all assumptions of (potential) reasons why the instructions were not followed. Just like me calling her "not bright" was also an assumption. Anyone of these could be the correct explanation, but neither one of us has the information to determine the correct answer. 

"Okay, but isn't it also true in all likelihoold that people whose cards actually do get declined probably try to bs the employee every way to Sunday and give her all kinds of grief when she asks for another form of payment?"

This is another assumption about all people's behaviors when their card is declined. 

These are the examples that I see that were used against the core argument.

Like I said, it's clear I could have phrased this better, and I let frustration show in my arguments. Perhaps now it is clearer of where my real frustration had been in this story. You're right, it is McDonald's. I mentioned a previous thread referencing the hinderances of Citi's choice in card design, and by that thread it's pretty clear that it's a problem in more spots than just McDonald's. 

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 33 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

We really are dragging out this thread.  I stated my opinion early in and I took LTL's post as more of a statement about the card (which btw has come up often on these forums).  Let's not make this to be a big deal over something very minor.  Time to let this die.

Message 34 of 43
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@securingourfuture wrote:

Absolutely.  But the employee isn't on myfico right now, so whatever Smiley Tongue

No, I totally get it.  I was just coming in here for OP because a lot of people were acting like OP was an elitist or at least, arrogant.  I have given store clerks instructions in the past and it's like it's in one ear and out of the other.  It's like "I just said to do it this way - ARGHHH". Cat Mad

Lol. Oh believe me I have had this experience. I mean I don't have the Citi Prestige card but in other ways I have had to deal with this. In a bunch of small shops during my European trip last year employees would not even know that their card readers, in addition to a chip reader, also incorporates a magnetic strip reader. On several occasions I had to politely ask them if I can try it myself and it went through just fine. It's like they didn't even know what swiping a card meant. Sure, it's our own fault for not going to chip while the rest of the world has moved on, but it's no less annoying!

Nothing better than stepping up and getting it done ourselves LOL.  Out-to-lunch cashiers are the reason I shy away from split checks when out with a group.  Put that mess on 1 card and get me next time.  It's like you are asking them to do Advanced Calculus.

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 35 of 43
securingourfuture
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

We really are dragging out this thread.  I stated my opinion early in and I took LTL's post as more of a statement about the card (which btw has come up often on these forums).  Let's not make this to be a big deal over something very minor.  Time to let this die.

+1000000000000000000000000000000

8/22/18: BK7 filed EXP 490 TU 430 EQ 429
11/28/18: BK7 discharged EXP 586 TU 578 EQ 527
06/08/21: EXP 656 TU 643 EQ 701
Message 36 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

lmao

... relax if it gets too worn out order a new one!

Message 37 of 43
yfan
Valued Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

"(such as she worked all night and was tired, she didn't understand your instructions, and many other explanations" - these are all assumptions of (potential) reasons why the instructions were not followed. Just like me calling her "not bright" was also an assumption. Anyone of these could be the correct explanation, but neither one of us has the information to determine the correct answer. 

I was specifically giving examples (and worded it as such) of circumstances, not saying any one of them was the case. That's the difference between an assumption ("so and so wasn't bright...") and possible explanation. If you admit at the outset that these are possible explanations, then it is not an assumption. In fact, these other possible explanations were given to refute your assumption that the employee wasn't bright enough. You didn't say "one possible explanation for them not listening is they weren't smart enough." You flat out said they weren't bright enough to understand you. That's an assumption; expanding multiple scenarios as possible explanations is not.

@longtime_lurker wrote:

"Okay, but isn't it also true in all likelihoold that people whose cards actually do get declined probably try to bs the employee every way to Sunday and give her all kinds of grief when she asks for another form of payment?"

This is another assumption about all people's behaviors when their card is declined. 

No, it isn't.  "In all likelihood" suggests I left a possibility that it may or may not be so, but that it is more likely to be so than not. That specificity of mentioning likelihood is exactly what keeps it from being an assumption. If I had not included that part, THEN it would be an assumption.

Message 38 of 43
Involver
Valued Contributor

How pedantic can you possibly be?
Message 39 of 43
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

The only thing OP is guilty of is drinking crappy coffee. Lay off his case, people

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.