cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$500/week - Is this a living wage in your area?

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: $500/week - Is this a living wage in your area?

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

In my case, I will and did take a pay cut to work at home. Smiley Happy

To do what at home???

Smiley Very Happy

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 11 of 51
guiness56
Epic Contributor

In WA state it would be very difficult to live on $500 a week.

In Arkansas you could.  My mom lives on $987 a month. 

Message 12 of 51
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

In my case, I will and did take a pay cut to work at home. Smiley Happy

To do what at home???

Smiley Very Happy

Hey, now... Smiley Very Happy

OK, OK, back to the computer. Sheesh...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

A person with a family could not live on $500 a week maybe a singe person but even that would be hard here in NY. In my neighborhood that would just cover rent for a 2 bedroom apartment $1100-$1200 and  some other bills. If there was a commute that would even make it harder whether it be mass transit or paying for gas/tolls.

Message 14 of 51
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

1. $500/week - Is this a living wage in your area? Yes
  2. Would you accept this as a wage if you've been unemployed/underemployed for a while, even though you were earning considerably more previously? Yes
  3. Could this keep you afloat for a while if you were experiencing financial difficulties, guaranteeing me at least five months of your work? Yes
  4. Would your answers to the above change if this was a telecommute or a work from your office at home type of situation?  Or if it was just a short commute (under 10 miles) to the office? That would be great
  5. Would you consider a job at this pay if you knew upfront that this was possibly only a temporary position, maybe lasting only eight months, and with absolutely no additional benefits of any kind? Yes

I don't give these answers for myself (not looking for a job), but this type of wage is not bad for our area. A poster above was correct, that this would work best in a dual income situation. We are a state without a state income tax (South Dakota), so people do live on this wage. My daughter has been with her employer for almost 10 years, and she doesn't make this much.

P.S.  I'd also be interested in any information anyone may have related to incentives offered by the local or state governments for employers to locate in that area. I don't have specific information, but our community of approx. 10,000 has a local development corporation. They are always throwing incentives at employers...and so is the state.

Message 15 of 51
MattH
Senior Contributor

Here in Connecticut $500 per week is nowhere near a living wage.  In TN, rural VA (ie., not the DC area), or much of NC probably somebody could live OK on that amount.  When my wife and I moved from NC to CT in 1992 we were stunned at the cost of everything up here.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 16 of 51
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

It wouldn't work in my area.  (  Los Angeles, Ca )

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 17 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

$500 a week would be considered to be a well paying job in my area. Before I bought my house I rented a 3 bedroom house with a full basement for $300 a month. Although those are higher wages for my area, I'm not sure I would take it with no benefits, especially not knowing how long the position would be open. I live in Orange county, IN for your info. Good luck with your business

Message 18 of 51
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Thanks to all for your replies so far..they are exactly the kind of responses I was looking for, and I'm seeing a couple of alternative ways of doing this that I hadn't really thought of.

I expected that this would be too low of a wage in some of the metro areas, but I'm thinking now that maybe it's not too low if it was merely supplemental household income.  That opens up some options for me.  I could possibly split some of the positions and have a few more people, but with less hours each.   Some positions cannot be split ...but I might have a workaround for that, and still keep within budget.

The original questions were numbers 1-5, I'd like to add one more:

1. $500/week - Is this a living wage in your area?
  2. Would you accept this as a wage if you've been unemployed/underemployed for a while, even though you were earning considerably more previously?
  3. Could this keep you afloat for a while if you were experiencing financial difficulties, guaranteeing me at least five months of your work?
  4. Would your answers to the above change if this was a telecommute or a work from your office at home type of situation?  Or if it was just a short commute (under 10 miles) to the office?
  5. Would you consider a job at this pay if you knew upfront that this was possibly only a temporary position, maybe lasting only eight months, and with absolutely no additional benefits of any kind?
  6. Would you consider this job if it was offered as a part-time position at 1/2 this wage ($250/wk.)?  If so, would it make any difference if the schedule was 2 1/2 eight hour days, or 2 days @10 hours each, or 4 hours/day for the full week?
Again, thanks for your replies.  I can't begin to tell you how much this is helping me to think this through.  Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on the hours.  If I could work it around my government job, then absolutely.  My husband would likely say the same.  The part time that you're offering is just under Florida's unemployment benefits so you would likely recruit people who are running out of unemployment funds.

Message 20 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.