Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX PRG Card Re-design

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX PRG Card Re-design

Don't know if this is even important to  anyone and/or if i'm late to the party, but my PRG card chip was giving me problems at merchants so i requested a replacement, The replacement had an updated design. The card's color was a brighter yellowish gold, all the details on the border and Centurion soldier are lighter and finer, and the American Express logo is black instead of white. My wife thinks it looks cheapy.. i just think it looks more modern.

Anyone else have this newer design and what are your thoughts compared to the old card?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX PRG Card Re-design

Interesting, can you take a pic? I have seen pics of black letter PRG's and white letter ones. 

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 9
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Discover2016 wrote:

Interesting, can you take a pic? I have seen pics of black letter PRG's and white letter ones. 

Preferrably a pic of the cards side-by-side, so we can see the difference. 

Edit: A quick look at the Amex website shows the card looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 4.52.29 PM.png

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't know if this is even important to  anyone and/or if i'm late to the party, but my PRG card chip was giving me problems at merchants so i requested a replacement, The replacement had an updated design. The card's color was a brighter yellowish gold, all the details on the border and Centurion soldier are lighter and finer, and the American Express logo is black instead of white. My wife thinks it looks cheapy.. i just think it looks more modern.

Anyone else have this newer design and what are your thoughts compared to the old card?

I made a similar post a little while back. I think its random or depends which card center it comes from. I had both the white font and black font PRG. One tends to have a more gold look and the other has more of the dull gold shade. Anyway....does anyone notice the PRG card breaks in half easy above the chip line? I read a post of someone saying the same thing and it has happened to me twice already too. However..the platinum card never had this issue. I wonder if the platinum card is made with a different plastic material lol. 

Message 4 of 9
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I made a similar post a little while back. I think its random or depends which card center it comes from. I had both the white font and black font PRG. One tends to have a more gold look and the other has more of the dull gold shade. Anyway....does anyone notice the PRG card breaks in half easy above the chip line? I read a post of someone saying the same thing and it has happened to me twice already too. However..the platinum card never had this issue. I wonder if the platinum card is made with a different plastic material lol. 

I've had issues with my cards cracking along the bottom of the magstrip, and made a post about it last week. I've noticed it tends to be the shiny plastic ones, versus the matte or foil-covered cards. I've had my Cabela's, Chevron, and BoA debit card all crack along the magstrip. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was gonna say! I had noticed this too but never said anything!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the black letter version (that DeeBee78 posted) looks better. It looks more like my old Gold card from 1999. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks more like my old Gold card from 1999. 

Exactly what i meant by the one i just recieved looks more modernized.

And yes, I will post a picture of both card one on top of the other later tonight.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My card that I got in December 2016 came with the Black font. I think it looks fantastic.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.