Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Pure Genius

tag
minimock
Frequent Contributor

AMEX Pure Genius

Ive read through the many AMEX "What's so great about AMEX" and the like, and there are MANY of those types of threads, in fact its like every other 5th or 6th thread is an AMEX thread talking about  or asking about one thing or another.

The differing opinions to me seem to be "Its the old school coveted card but not any more" Or "That was your daddy's credit card" and "Its not that big of a deal to 

have one, yet I want one"

Yet all I see is AMEX, AMEX, AMEX

It seems to me the prestige is still very alive and kicking.

I myself went through hell and back getting one and really had no reason to get one, besides just having it LOL, and it seems nearly everyone else is running each  

over to get one. LOL.

The funny thing I find about this whole debate is that they really don't have any kind of "ACTIVE" advertising campaign like they did in the old days,

You know the ones  if you are old enough, Like Karl Mauldin and other actors doing the AMEX "Don't leave home without it"

It amazes me this product transcends the years nearly unscathed ,with very little effort on their part anymore. Perhaps it is the customer service, perhaps its backdating, perhaps it just credit legend.

But one thing you have to admit, it is pure genius on an unprecedented level that dosen't point to any one obvious thing.

Just an observation and opinion, and you know what they say about opinions They are like......................Everyone's got one and they all stink LOL....(Saving the mod edit, your welcome LOL)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ajh5408
Contributor

Re: AMEX Pure Genius

I'd argue that the fee/benefit structure of their charge products falls under the "pure genius" category, while their revolvers are legitimately competitive. With MR/MRE points being worth about half a penny in hard cash, it's tough to make the case for any of the chargers other than Zync (building/general use) and Platinum (if you have a legitimate need).

So, while I'll happily throw Green and Gold under the bus, I think you're undervaluing the vastly superior customer service experience AMEX offers in comparison to most of their US competitors. I do think the whole idea of "concierge" service (i.e. prestige) from a credit card is a bit overblown, but I still faithfully pull out my AMEX... When I'm not meticulously mining for better rewards from other issuers. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

You are forgetting a few important features of amex charge cards. The spending limit is very flexible and can grow much quicker than revolving credit limits. You never have to request a cli. MR points are very flexible and the rewards are able to be customized. When buying through Amex online there are always 3X, 5X, sometimes even 10X points offers which really bring you value back. There is definitely a prestige about using American Express as well as evidenced by the mystique surrounding them on this board.

While I think the gold card is a rip off, the green is and has been a very solid card offering.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 3 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Amex backdates.  No other creditor in the entire known universe does this, and that information is not public nor well known.

I have a buddy that knows the ins and outs of FICO and financial services companies far better than I will ever know (or that he can ever tell me), and not even he knew that Amex backdates their accounts.  This forum population is so far out of any rational statistical curve when it comes to credit / FICO understanding, that I wouldn't read too much into the reactions of people on this forum and try to apply it to everyone else: it's bad data for that.

        
Message 4 of 5
minimock
Frequent Contributor

Moved! OH I am cut to the quick LOL.

But I was going to say count the AMEX posts in the first 4 pages of the credit card section.

Kinda proves my point with the continued facination of just the "AMEX" subject, even after all these years.....

Truly amazing LOL

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.